1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT frequency sweep charts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Does anyone have a chart of the frequency sweep of a vintage SVT's channel 1 set flat in the normal input (a VR or even an SVT-II would probably work as well, but not a CL or 2 Pro)? I'm still trying to suss out what's going on with my 69 SVT...been a long long time since I had it working.

I saw a thread in Effects where DannyBuoy used fdeck's frequency analysis program to measure a VT pedal and find the settings where it's set flat. Turns out that setting is almost a dead nuts match for the second channel of the SVT. Sounds great, but doesn't have enough low end for my tastes. The bass knob isn't getting that clear but heavy low end that I like. The 1st channel has a great low end, but seems to scoop out the mids, but I can't figure out where. And fdeck's program makes my brain hurt too much to do it myself...tried it once and I could hear that horrible sound ringing in my ears for days and it nearly drove me insane. So if someone has measured it before, I would appreciate it if you could post it on here or at least discuss your findings. I'm more interested in the head itself rather than plugged into the cab.

I think what I'm going to have to do is what I did in the old days...split the signal with a Y cable and run both channels. But I'd like to see what's doing first in case I can come up with a better solution that allows me to use only one channel.

TIA!

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I've always wanted to do that (amplitude response over frequency) for my amps.
    I have the gear but my frequency generator doesn't sweep so I'd have to manually change it which is tedious.
    It would be fun on a rainy day. I'll bet many amps will have all kinds of bumps and dips even when "set flat".

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, so that approach didn't work...let's try this...

What is it about the frequencies of the flat setting on channel 1 of the SVT that makes the low end sound heavier and the mids not as pronounced? I'm looking for specific frequencies here, not just a general "lo-mid boost/upper mid scoop" thing. I can hear that for myself. I'm trying to zero in on the freqs that make it so.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It does tell you to turn the volume down.

5. mrpillow

mrpillow

Jun 1, 2008
    Montgomery, TX
    Do you have any sort of recording equipment? If you do, you could just record a clip from each channel using the same settings and see just how the curve changes in any freq analyzer.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hmmm...that's a good point. I do have a recording with it. Maybe I can figure out how to do it ;)