1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT Heritage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countrybassist, May 8, 2010.

1. Any reviews or thoughts on the Ampeg SVT Heritage head? I was gonna pick one up this weekend as either a backup to my CL or main amp with the CL as a back up.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    bp did a review...they said the head sounds pretty much the same as any other cl. but it looks a million times cooler.

3. Cool. Thanks Jimmy!!

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    In a sad yet sadisitic sort of way I'm glad

If they did sound better then one could assume that the company only made this unit to try and regain some consumer confidence and rectify the coprorate image based on some of the crap they've churned out in the last few years. At least that would be a step in the right direction.

If it doesn't sound better then one could assume that they can not improve on their amps from the SLM days and that the leadership and technical department are not up to todays standards for audio improvement.

Based on the video presentations I've seen from NAMM, it looks as though the markeing effort is well below normal industry standards and borders on incompetance.

Still a part of me that wants to see an American made product be the industry standard as this icon once was; perhaps an unreasonable expecatation with the exception of Boogie and Carvin; very high quality but not nearly as universaly recognized. IMO

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    listen, nobody's improved the svt since 1971, and even that wasn't a tonal improvement...it was more of a lateral move. all the moves made with the svt over the years have been lateral. and that, jim, is fine with me. i don't want an improved svt...i want an svt.

however, i would love an improved 810e. it could use it, too. the current loud cabs are a great improvement over the last few years of slm cabs, but they still don't sound as good as my 73 810. i have heard the heritage cabs are a LOT closer to the mark. plus the grillcloth is one of the coolest i've ever seen. and by golly, that counts.

agreed. it borders on incompetence at public speaking. they should have hired an endorser who can speak well to introduce them. but i don't think they're the least bit incompetent. the last guy in charge was a total nimrod, but pyotr belov at least has the science down. the micro vr kills. it was actually one of the last designs that came out of st louis but it never came out until now. but the svt 7 pro is a new design, and from all accounts it's also wonderful. so i'd rather have good amp designers than good public speakers.

well i travel a lot and use rented amps, and all i care about is making sure i have an svt available. like tonight's gig, i don't always get one...tonight i got an svt 4 pro and 410he...but it's on my rider. if something happens to ampeg, i'm not going to have my svt on the road, and i will be very unhappy. so i'd rather have korean made svt's than none at all. being an american, i'm all for americans, but america must take a back seat to my need for an svt on all my gigs ;)

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    So how did the 4PRO and HE work out? I would rather have seen ya with a new 810, but anyway?

BOB

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    hey bob, it worked out well. i brought my modded british character pedal and di'd with that and got some semblance of my tone. it was one of the latter day slm cabs, so i had to turn up the tweeter to get any response past 3k. but the british mellowed it out nicely. love that pedal almost as much as the vt. i dialed up just a slight grind that you can't really hear but it adds body to the tone, and used it all night. rockin'!

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    True, many would agree that the tone has not improved and the relaibility has gotten much worse
    I was refering to their ability to have designed and built any equipment that had any sonic advancements, new features, forward thinking, etc. since SLM; their reputation is built around some fantastic equipment (both guitar and bass amps) from 40 years ago and not much else.

I hope the 7 Pro is something that we can all be proud of although their have been some posts here regarding reliability.
    Perhaps this is just early model teething problems like those found by Carvin and GK when they got into the light weight market.

BTW, while my main amps are SVT-CL, SVP-CL / SVP1500, and SWR, the amp that gets the most gig time by far is the LMII.

Maybe not US made, but I can legitimize this as my parents came over on the boat from Italy (pronounce Itly) ;)

9. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    You're on the warpath lately Jim. I'm wondering here. When it comes to tube SVT, how would a manufacturer improve the 70 year old technology used in the thing? I suppose Jensen DI's and extra features that don't change the look maybe.

The SVT is not a Harley Davidson, where improvements in electronics, internal combustion engines and drive trains have improved the motorcycles. A resistor is a resistor and a cap is a cap. The SVT has just subtile changes. And most like the standby setup were a loser.

The tilt back cab is a good one. The change in tone was due to the speakers because Chicago Telephone got out of the speaker business.

AMPEG should have just started making their own.

BOB

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    after reading the ampeg book, you wonder how ampeg ever got it together to bring anything to market. seems like the whole operation hung by a thread until slm got hold of it. i couldn't imagine them trying to do speaker manufacturing. they had their hands full with making amps.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Jimmy, you mention above that you feel the LOUD cabs are improved vs. the latter SLM cabs. I've never heard positive feedback on the LOUD gear, only disses - can you elaborate?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    the slm 810's from about 2000-2005 were not great imho. most of them were made with osb chipboard, and they used speakers that were way less bright than the standard 5k the older cabs would do. if they did 3k on a good day, i'd be surprised. loud at least uses real wood and has speakers that have some high end.

13. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I'll second that, the new enclosures are now built from plywood, which is far superior over OSB if you ask me.

14. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The new cabs are a subtle difference from the old ones. I have three new ones and two SLM ones. Interesting how the material used in construction effects the end result.

Hopefully I won't get a violation again for saying, "The fit and finish of the new cabs is excellent."

BOB

15. I just bought the Heritage SVT 410 HLF #20. It sounds awesome with my GK 1001rb. I had the walls of the music store shaking. I loved the Heritage SVT but need to save up some cash to pick it up.

I have decided from now on to buy only American made products. I have had way too many amps and cabs made overseas that sound like crap and breakdown on me. Plus IMO it's time to start supporting our own country.

I had my eye on these right from when I heard Ampeg was going to make them. They are a bit pricey but to me it's worth it knowing that I helping the American economy. Not Thailand, China or Korea's.

The grill looks real cool. You can tell by just looking at it that it was made well. Plus it's got Eminence speakers in it. The SVT head was the same. Very well made. It had a awesome vintage vibe to it both in looks and sound.

Pics of the cab to come.

Rob S likes this.