Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT-II and Acoustic 320

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larzon, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Yesterday's rehearsal - I compared my SVT-II (non pro) with my Acoustic 320 (Head).

Guess which one of these two I found was the best sounding?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Depends on what kind of sound you like, as well as what cabs you were running em through.

3. Weren't the Acoustics just pretty much EQ's for the powered cabinets? Or perhaps that only applied to the 360's....

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    No. They had a head, a preamp, a power amp, and unpowered cabs.

5. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I like a Cut-through sound, fat, clear, and growly.
    My cabinets are EBS Neo 212.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The cabs were ported, which could have not matched with the SVT too well, but I am guessing that for growl you would like the SVT if you turned it up. The 320 would be more clear and may be easier to make cut through.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just bought an SVT-II non Pro and I don't have it yet. Why do I have the feeling you liked the Acoustic?

Skel

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Let's end the suspense. :rolleyes:

9. Very nice amp, altho, i must say it still sounds good with ported cabs! im going to get either a peavey 8x10 or ampeg 8x10 (unsure yet, would probably prefer having an ampeg and modding it with metal grill etc, but, money is a problem), but it should still sound great, it sounds ace with a 2x15 and 4x10 (both ported)

But, im betting he's going to say the accoustic too

10. I'm betting he's gonna say the Acoustic also. But, if there was a fire and I had just one chance to grab only one of them, and as heavy as that sucker is, I'm coming out with Ampeg. All 70 pounds of it.

11. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Right, the Acoustic sounded better! (in my ears, soundman's ears and the other guys ears in my band)
    Very surprising, yes.

Compared to the Acoustic, the SVT sounded boomy, muddy and slow, yet "big" sounding.
    The Acoustic sounded very tight, fast, much more cut through (nice middy), surprising warmth, very powerful and surprising nice GROWL! It has a Killer tone.

Cabinet(s): I think both the SVT and the Acoustic should be a good matching with the EBS Neo 212.

I've got a new friend :cool:

12. I tell ya I owned and played a LOT of different amps, some of which are supposed to be the best that ever were known to mankind but the one that I have that still blows me away (and the guys in the bands all love the tone) is just my Acoustic 360. Through a poweramp with this badboy and I don't care what you play it through the thing is always an instant smooth warm groove machine. That made me go out and buy a Thunderfunk to try to get that sound in one new, small, powerful package for gigging use. The old acoustics were great stuff!

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was "debating" about what my influences used in another thread. JPJ used the 360, if I'm correct with my info. It's not like you can just go out and find a 360 (is it?). I wonder how somebody would fare if they made a reissue of this amp? I've never seen one, and I must say I'm a little confused - it's SS, big, and I see "power amp" used in the same sentence a lot.

Skel

Skel

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
  15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So, not to sound too ignorant, but you would run this into a conventional power amp?

Skel

16. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    I tried an Acoustic years ago, and I remember that I liked it a lot. I have had the Acoustic in my mind since then. Now, I took advantage of the opportunity to get one, in mint condition (an advertisement).
    I have never played a 360 or 370, do they have a similar tone compared to the 320?
    What about the Thunderfunk, do they sound like the Acoustic? (I haven't played the Thunderfunk either)

Don't get me wrong, I still like my Ampeg, it's just that I like the Acoustic even better (much better).