1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT II non pro - is it worth the wait?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Charlie_brxwn, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    I went through a period where I wasn't playing out more than about once a year, got married. We bought a house etc. etc.

So in that time, I sold my 70s blueline stack and kept my back up head and cab (orange tiny terror 1000/810e)

Now I am in a position where I am playing out/ traveling a lot again behind a new record my band has put out and I want another SVT. Tiny Terror is cool, but it's not an SVT

I really want the "rackability" and I don't want to spend a lot of money on another blueline. Is it worth the wait? Or should I just pull the trigger in a CL?

Please talk me off a cliff/sell me your SVT II

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    I should also note I'm not ruling out a mesa 400/400+

I'm coming at this from an overdriven perspective. No matter what amp I'm playing I'm running a small OD pedal chain.

I don't know if I'm splitting hairs, and if sonically it's really worth it.

Opinions, experiences appreciated

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    I love my Mesa 400 with KT88's. It overdrives better than the 400+ with 6l6's, IMHO.

4. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    Maybe that's the way I'll go. I don't really like the idea of 6l6s, and the 400s seem to be a little easier to obtain than SVT IIs

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Of all the tube heads I have owned and sold the one I miss most is my old svt2 nonpro. I sold it years ago as it developed an issue which I was sick of trying to fix, but man the tone. Way ahead of the svt vr with which I replaced it and way, way ahead of my old Mesa 400+. The weight was a pain in the a.se but the tone more than made up for it. If you can find an svt2 nonpro I would buy it in a heartbeat. That tone and power of that head is absolute magic IMO.
    YMMV and IMO of course.

cheu78, DocGeorge and Charlie_brxwn like this.
  6. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    That's awesome. I'm not in any particular rush so maybe I'll just keep lurking around. I thought about a VR too but I really want the rackmount. It would make my life a lot easier.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I can vouch for this! When I had my 400 loaded with JJ KT88's it had the sweetest power tube saturation and threshold OD.

I have always wanted an SVT-II also! I'd love to AB against my Mesa to see exactly how they differ in OD but that would be a pricey experiment.

Charlie_brxwn likes this.
  8. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    Yeah part of the dilemma is the need to purchase blind with a Mesa. I have no doubts about the SVT II

9. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    You really cant go wrong either way. The Mesas are lighter though, if that matters. I think the Mesas are a little more clear or detailed in the highs than the Ampegs, if you need them to be.

10. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    Lighter weight is definitely a huge perk! I have to play a large show in April, so I was hoping to grab one before then. I guess it will just boil down to what's on the market at the time.

I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible to assemble an upgraded pedal line up as well.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    An SVT 2 Nonpro is a great amp, no doubt about it. I used a backline-rented one on a gig a couple months ago and I loved it. I fail to see any advantage over a CL or VR, though, unless you really really like graphic EQ (I can take or leave it and left it off). And they may be a little lighter, but I wouldn't carry one around without a rack, and by the time you rack it, it's at the very least as heavy as a CL or VR.

12. Charlie_brxwn

Charlie_brxwn

Dec 12, 2016
    Richmond VA
    That's a great point. The EQ is a non issue for me as well. Thanks for all the feedback! The only SVT I've ever played was that blueline honestly, so I have very little frame of reference. I just don't want to stay in the gear swapping game forever.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Cool thing about the VR, though not rackable and heavy, is, chaining channel one to channel two.

14. IMO, any of the all-tube SVT's you could get your hands on would be great. I see steals on the CL more than any other.

10cc and Charlie_brxwn like this.
  15. Just to be clear, your not "chaining" anything when this is done, just running both pre's in parallel. It doesn't amount to another gain stage for more overdrive, etc.

16. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Yes, I know. But think it's a killer tone blending the two.

That being said, I personally don't like overdrive, or should I say to the point of distortion.

But I get what your saying about the overdrive.

Chris 'Wighat' Jordan likes this.
  17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Matt Patton uses one with DBT. That's good enough for me. Get it!

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i think it's a compromise, i can't get the fatness of the sunn 2000s, i can't get the volume of the svt, and i can't get the focused punky od of the orange, however the mesa d180 can do a dark grindy od that i absolutely love and it can sound warm and clean too when i need it

Charlie_brxwn and map34157 like this.
  19. cheu78

cheu78

Jul 26, 2014
    There was a guy on TB selling an svt2 nonpro for a reasonable price afterall few motnhs ago.. Try to search that if you live in the US..

But since I live in Europe was almost doubling its price due to shipping (crating,weight,dimension).. Plus I needed to mod it to work with 220v (not a huge deal but still..)..So I had to pass...it was a 90lbs beast.. !!

Another great (and much lighter option) might be the fender super bassman.

Cheu

20. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Has he switched? Every time I've seen him he has used a V6b.

StrangerDanger likes this.