1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Svt II non pro or Trace Elliot V-Type

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Catalin, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Hello

I have a dilemma. I can get a used Svt II non pro in a very good condition. I already have a Trace Elliot V-Type all tube but i have read only good things about Svt II non pro.
    If i get the Svt II i have to sell the Trace Elliot.
    I mention i can't try the Svt because it is located in Germany and i live in Romania :) but i have a friend there and he will get it for me.
    In terms of sound i'm quite happy with Trace Elliot but In fact i have never heard an all tube Svt (in Romania they are quite rare) so it's impossible for me to compare them.
    The only complain that I have about TE is that not have enough grit.
    I mention that i play metal with a five string Warwick Streamer LX, my cabinet is an Ampeg SVT 810E.
    Seller requires approximately 1100 euros for the SVT II.
    What should i do...... ?
    Sorry for bothering you with my silly dilemma :)
    Thank you.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, if you're happy with what you have, keep it. You could always add an overdrive pedal to your current rig to get that sound.

3. Good question, you'll probably get a lot of Ampeg fans saying "forget the Trace Elliot, get the Ampeg!" and a lot of (although maybe less) Trace Elliot fans saying "Keep the Trace, It's awesome!"

I personally say you should keep the Trace, as you seem pretty happy with it, and those V-types are quite rare at the moment...It may well be worth hanging onto it just because the value is only going to go up.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. If you really want the Ampeg and have the cash, go for it!

4. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    If it were any other Trace Elliot(FET) I would tell you to snap up the SVTII. But you may have an artifact on your hands. I am not sure how many of those vtypes were built but its not many. It's much easier to find an SVTII non pro (i have one) then the V type.

Keep the Vtype and save more $ for the SVTII. Then do us all a favor and post your comparison of both.

5. 1100 Euros is about £1,000. I don't know how the prices are on the continent itself, but thats pretty high for the SVT-II.

If you want more grit, I'm pretty sure you could get it from the SVT-II, but there isn't a pre-gain knob, so you'd also have to get loud to get some heavier grit on the go.

I think the SVT-II is an amazing amp (who would have guessed? most of what you read was probably me (if it was on tb :bag: ) ).

If you are reasonably happy with the TE, I'd say keep it. It's too much of a risk buying something blind like that (when you may not like it and want your Vtype back, and as said, those aren't the most common). By all means save up and get the SVT-II aswell, they'd be completelly different tonal palettes ;)

However, I wouldn't be saying the SVT-II is that common over in europe. I've only seen 4-5 for sale over as many years (granted, not actively searching).

6. Thanks guys you convinced me.
    I will not sell the v-type. Maybe i can get a good deal and keep both amps :D

7. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    In Belgium and The Netherlands they sell for €1600 easily...:bawl:

I wish I had 1100 to spend!!!!

EDIT: actually Catalin... do you have a link for me?

8. Really? Damn!

9. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I'm amazed that you can't get enough grit out of the Trace V Type. It is the ONLY amp I own (or have possibly even heard) that has a lovely gritty usable sound using the preamp gain only. I can only imagine what it sounds like with the master volume cooking as well.

Mine is a V4 Combo.

But I would be intrigued with the non-pro SVT too.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The 2 Non Pro won't get gritty without a lot of volume. But it sounds absolutely awesome in its Ampeg goodness. I would definitely recommend you get one if you didn't have any other amp but that Trace. If it's at all possible to buy the 2 and keep the Trace, do it. If not, I'd see if you can float it for a little while until you decide which one you like better. But it's one of those special Trace heads that makes even a dyed-in-the-wool Ampeg guy like me think twice about selling it before you get an idea about the 2.

11. Hey guys my friend just arrived from Germany ! Now i go to rehearsals to try my new toy. I will tell you later how it is :bassist:

12. Hope you enjoy :)

13. I just came back from rehearsal. Oh man i like this amp, the first thing i have noticed is the loudness of this amp, it has lots of headroom. Today at the rehearsal i played with the volume knob at 11 o'clock, if i put volume at 1-2 o'clock i deafen everyone in the room :bassist:
    In terms of sound i like it. But i also like the Trace Elliot. I like them both. Those 2 amps are not so different as i thought... I mean they are not like night and day :D... maybe because i play both of them through an Ampeg 810E. I hope at the next rehearsal i will have more time to A/B them.
    Anyway the SVT is in mint condition the power tube have less than a year, also in that period the amp was completely inspected by a tech.
    Oh... did i mentioned it's heavy? :D

14. It sure isn't a light weight ;)

Glad you like it, and yes, it is very different to the Trace Elliot!

I found you could play about quite a bit with the tone of the amp by using the level slider on the graphic EQ. Maybe worth a toy with :)

15. ooh... a trace V type in romania? you might have one of the only ones!

the svt II is a tried and true classic of bass amplification, matched with an 810e I can only imagine the awesome thumpage.

I've never heard a V-type but thats because they're so rare that I've never even seen one. the longer you can hold onto it, the better, because thats a rare and expensive piece of gear there.

16. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    there is a way to crank the preamp. engage the graphic eq, which has a volume slider.
    lower the slider & crank the preamp. there you are! blam...

17. This is exactly what i tried last night at the rehearsals, indeed i can get lots of tonal variations by playing with the graphic EQ especially the level slider. It's like i have a graphic eq in parallel effects loop.

18. For a little more grit i have the EBS Valve Drive, it works wonderful with the SVT :bassist:
    If you want to hear the Trace Elliot V-Type in a metal mix here is a link:
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1198577/To Kill A King.mp3
    I hope you can hear the bass :)
    I used
    -Warwick Streamer LX5
    -EBS Valve Drive - modern channel mids slightly scooped
    -Ampeg 810E
    - AKG D112 and Shure SM57 mics

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Valve Drive sounds fantastic in front of a tube monster, like you've got. Excellent pairing there.

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 to the ValveDrive! I love mine. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool: