Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svt II, older model--how does it compare to 1001RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heat@500Hz, Jul 3, 2005.

1. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    a strange question, i admit! but please forgive my ignorance...and the long intro

i'm basically a newbie to bass guitar, i played regular six-string for 12 years, gigging seriously for 4 of those years, my guitar rig is a les paul thru a '79 marshall JMP 2203...with the bass, i like to noodle thru a variety of music from marcus miller-esque r&b to rhcp to primus, but my primary devotion to the instrument is in the classic r&b to classic rock vein (i love the old stuff)

i currently play a fender jazz with vintage j pickups thru my 1001 RBII, into a gk neo 112 and neo 115...i never have a real tough time finding a good sound out of any reasonably good amp, and this amp has some really good sounds, especially for the newer stuff and thumbing stuff, but i admit, it takes some drastic eq tweaking to get the old mellow vibe going!

i have a lead on an ampeg svt II with an 810 cab for a good price, locally, but i haven't played this amp yet

if i buy it, i'll likely sell my gk stuff, but i'm wondering--will this head and cab give me more of the classic sound (i hope)?

is this head very versatile? i understand the eq is switchable on/off, and with it, could i get a more modern sound too?

one last question--basically i think i want a semi-equivalent to my guitar rig:ballsy, basic and big...would this bass rig be near that equivalent? or is it more modern?

Thanks!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have that head and the same bass so I will try to help. First up is the GK head has an eq that works in series, this means each of the 4 knobs will directly effect each other. A little goes a long way with GK heads. Try turning your presence and contour off. Treble about 9 o'clock, hi-mid about the same, low mid about 12 o'clock and bass between 3 and full. pre volume at 12, woofer volume at 12 and boost knob start at 9
    o'clock and adjust to taste. This should be a good starting point . What I have also noticed when playing my jazz basses, never go full on the volume with the treble rolled off because the bass will still have a certain "honkyness" to it. Instead go 3/4's and use the volume knob on the amp. All my jazzes are guilty of this. Wide open on the volume knobs are good when you roll on the tone knob and play the thump and pop stuff, thats where everything wide open sounds good on a jazz.

The head is very versitile and should give you all but the muddy bass that some bassplayer want. It will not sound like an Ampeg, Nor will an Ampeg sound like it. They are two different type amps. The GK will give you a very modern sound were as the Ampeg will be vintage. As far as playing stuff like Marcus Miller on an Ampeg it's not gonna come out to good due to the type of cabs Ampeg makes. GK's cab are Fast and responsive to today's agressive styles where as the Ampeg are slower cabs an will get muddled with that kind of playing (i've tried thumpin and poppin with Ampegs) no good, no dice uhh uhh forget it! The bottom line is you will have to play the Ampeg for yourself and see if it compliments your style or styles.

3. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    Thanks! That was a great read before going to try this ampeg tomorrow!

And you're absolutely right about hearing it myself...now that I now some things to listen for as far as what it can and can't do so well, I ought to get more out of the demo. :)

P.S.--that is just about exactly how i adjust my amp for straight-ahead playing, good call

4. One thing i can say for my SVT II that isnt very positive, is that i always keep the graphic EQ on with a boosted mid and treble/low end roll off (altho keep the ultra high switch on)

I think this is due to the pretty crappy preamp tubes that are in it (problem being solved soon i hope), also, i think it would sound alot better through a sealed cab, shall see

Never played the GK, but i still love the SVT II to bits, and hopefully will solve the problems sooner rather than later

5. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    thanks for all the help, fellows...i went with the Ampeg!

i'll get some photos and a mini-review of my decision later on, just in case i can explain the sound comparison coherently enough to by chance help someone else out!

6. Lets hear! Lets see pics!

gotta love SVT II's :smug:

7. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    here's a sample until i can get some better lighting for the photos :)

Attached Files: