1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT II - thought it was dead but it's alive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pulse, Jun 3, 2012.

1. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey
    I just plugged my cabs into the send and return and not the speaker outs by mistake and turned the amp on fully.

I was like huh why no sound and then realised my error .... !!****!! ... i thought I would have blown the amp.... :crying:

then I turned it off and plugged things correct, and it worked for two mins and the sound would drop out then there would be buzz and it would fade back in and out again ....
    !!***!!!!!

then I turned it off for five minutes and started her up again .... no problems for the last hour or so

whats going on?

sure am amazed at how this thing keeps going. its from 89 and even has phillips 6550 tubes in it....

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Probably could use a tune up. Take it in to a qualified amp tech, have it looked over. Always a good idea.

3. It's a zombie amp ! :)

Seriously, it seems that the output transformers have survived not being plugged to a load (cabinet).

4. They are beasts!

Somewhere on TB I posted a similar panicked thread a few years back! Still works perfectly fine though :)

(sadly I don't have the origianl Philips (Sylvania) 6550A's in mine anymore, they got replaced not long after I bought the amp (one was dead, the others were on the way out, though this was long before I turned her on without a load!)

5. Your effects return jack was more than likely the cause of the dodgy operation. I believe the main speaker out jack is a shorting jack so the amp will not be run unloaded if someone makes this error? :)

6. We ALL make errors! Just last week one of my two cabinets was silent. Then I noticed three speaker cables. One cabinet was connected to nothing as was one channel of the amp. :)