Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brothernewt, Jun 26, 2004.

1. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Now, i'm sure this has been done, but i can't find it. Looking to go back to an all tube ampeg set-up and no one in my area has an svt-II and an svt-cl that i can side-by-side compare. what are the differences soundwise?
  2. I think they're the same just the SVT-2Pro is a rackmount version. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I don't have the classic, but I do have the SVT-II (not pro), as well as 71 and 73 SVT heads. The major difference between the II and the older heads in my opinion is created by the parmetric eq of the II. I find the II set flat sounds identical to my 71 and 73 heads, but the II has ability to punch up whatever frequency you need more of and reduce those that you want less of. All of the all-tube SVT heads I've used have the best bass tone I have ever heard for rock and similar genres. The cab has a heck of a lot to do with your tone, and I find my tone far different if I'm using a sealed 8X10 versus ported cabs. If you can find a used II (non-pro) for a decent price (seems nowadays anything under $1K is decent!!), I'd snag it, but be aware that you will have maintenance costs associated with retubing. I'm over 50 years old and I schlep around SVT heads and 8X10 cabs because thats the tone I prefer. I have some very expensive "smaller" gear as well, but it doesn't deliver the tones I want to hear. Life's too short to live with bad bass tone.
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    forgot to add, the II has a 4 or 2 ohm switch. Don't know what ohmage must be used with the classic head. As far as overall tone, to me Ampeg all-tube SVTs provide a warm punchy slight gritty to downright snarling tone...IMO works best with the 8X10 sealed cab, but sure sounds nice with many other cabs.
  5. Hi, i was looking at an online version the classic heads owners manual last night and it looks like it does both 4 and 2 ohms.

I've never played a 70's svt (I've only ever heard one played twice before at gigs to my knowledge and have been thoroughly awed both times)but had the chance Sunday afternoon to play half a dozen songs as a guest artist at a friends gig in Fremantle with a svt classic head and ampeg 6x10 box using a five string fender delux jazz...havent played a five string for about 2 years so that was challenging too.
    I'd have prefered the afternoon with the rig to work it out but i gave to say it was bloody loud in a very nice way. Louder than my eden 800 ( but then so is my all tube 1973 fender bassman my ears at least). From noodling in guitar shops I think the new delux fenders sound quite nice with ampeg gear.
    I think I could have got some very nice sounds out of this rig given more time to fiddle with the controlls and I'd have liked to have used my bass, which has passive pickups, to be able to compare but I didnt know i was going to be asked to play.

I can feel a birthday present coming on.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Does the SVT-II set flat really sound the same as the vontage SVTs? I have only heard that they sound different and usually people say that the new ones cant live up to the old ones. Many also say that the old ones are louder. It sounds like you possibly have a lot of experience using both. Im curious as to what you think of the old vs new SVTs.