SVT-II with different cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 25, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp

I've been considering getting a used SVT-II for a while and would appreciate any pointers on what cabs work or dont work well with it. I play metal with a 5-string and like having pretty clear presence (rather than explosive boom, though that is pretty cool too) on the lower ranges.

It seems like the favored setup is to use the classic Ampeg 8x10 cab, but I am not really interested in that. I used an all Ampeg rig (4x10 and a 2x15 with an SVT-4) long ago and was never completely happy with the cabs, though they were great. I used Mesa cabs (RR 2x15 and Powerhouse 1000) a few times with the Ampeg head and it was more the sound I was going for.

The cab setup I am using now is a mix of SWR Workingman's 1x15, Mesa Diesel 1x15, and Avatar 2x10pro. I like my SWR cab a lot and keep my eyes open for others (can usually be found for relatively cheap on ebay) but am not certain it would work great with the colored/organic tube sound that SVT-II's put out.

Has anyone tried SVT-II with non-Ampeg cabs?
  2. I use mine with a peavey 4x10 it sounds good, but i think it would sound alot better with an ampeg 8x10, 2x15 or 4x10, or well, any other sealed cab

Yet to try it out on another cab tho
  3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use my SVT-II's with the Ampeg 8X10 and also one or two Eden 210XLT's. I prefer the 8X10, but will sometimes use one XLT miked through the PA. Sounds great to me. I really dislike the sound of my basses direct. Great basses, and the SVT-II is a great amp, but through the SVT's DI or a separate DI, it just lacks character IMO.