1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT III pro Issye

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doom, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Doom

Doom

Nov 28, 2010
    I have a 1995 Ampeg SVT III pro
    I've noticed its had a really bad distortion sound at any level. When I play soft the note sounds very distorted, fuzzy, and really quiet, and it fades away really quick, there is no sustain at low levels. if the master is up full, the gain cant go under about 9 o'clock otherwise the notes just fade away. It produces highs and lows, just distorted, and it has to be full master and 9-10 o'clock on gain atleast for any playability. I cant really play any harmonics, because they just distort and fade away, sometimes I dont even hear the harmonic. If i drive the gain full open, it really doesnt change the amount of distortion that dramatically, even though the little light is saying it is being driven. I took it to a questionable tech, and he said the mosfets are open and its power supply needs replacement. I'm not an amp tech, but this amp still goes very loud, and I cant see a bad power supply producing enough wattage to push my 4x10 that hard. But anyone out there who maybe has experienced this before, or is an amp tech please help me. Thanks very much

2. Doom

Doom

Nov 28, 2010
    realized I misspelled topic, I think to save the forum and mod's trouble, ill end this here, and I re posted under SVT III pro Problem

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sounds like the mosfets just need rebiasing. not uncommon in older svt's. must be done by a tech, though, or you can burn your mosfets out in short order.