SVT III vs. GK 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, May 22, 2005.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I know, not another "help me decide" thread. I've got a b2 thats crapping out on me again and am deciding between an older SVT3 (350w not the 450w pro) and an older GK800rb. I have tried out the SVT and it sounded nice, but not much better than my b2. I have played the GK in the store but thats it. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
  3. sit down with the gk a little more and see if you like it gets the sound you're after. that's what i did when i got my 700rb-II and haven't regreted it

however it's making me want a 2001rb head and the neo 4x12...
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    The Ampeg SVT3 isn't that loud and I prefer the sound of the 800RB.
  5. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    My b2 isn't very loud either. I wonder how the GK is louder considering a difference of only 50w? Also has anyone used the GK for biamping?
  6. Ummm you really need to take playing style, and the tone you are after into consideration. As I have been many times while shopping for my own amp- and after trying both out they are a very differnt animal in comparison to each other.

The GK, as Gallien Kruegers are, a very clean amp, they sound awesome, punchy, deep and fast- I am really only just now coming to appreciate the sound of my RB400 III now that I have it dialed it in. And looking for a higher powered GK to run my cabs. The RB800 looks and sounds great if only I can find one here at a decent price.

The SVT is thick, and apparently not very loud- I though differently, but the room was small and I didnt have a drummer and two guitarists helping me make some noise... I found the responce a little slugish when I played one. I really have to ask what the 300w version is really rated at power wise- Apparently the SVT3 Pro is rated at 450w but only puts out 300watts, due to it's design- this made me rethink that amp.

The GK is the winner in my book- 300w@4ohm for the main output + 100w @ 8ohm for the high (8ohm minimum). That would alow you to run 2 cabs eg... a 4ohm 2x12" for the lows, and an 8ohm 2x8" for the high stuff... Also the GK's are very loud- Input volume can be cranked, and the master bearly has to leave stop on the lowest adjustment to be loud- add the boost which adds some grittyness. MmmmMMmmm!

The GK gets +100 for being so versitile.
  7. TBH, if you dont think its much different, dont bother with the SVT 3, however, i recon you should look at an SVT II (the old non pro ;) ) , its only 300 watts :p
  8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I find the 800rb to be conservative in its power rating.
    I think you would find with it that it takes a little turn of the volume dial to get a lot.
    SVT3's have good tone, but no headroom really.
  9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I keep hearing about GKs being so clean-clean-clean! Yeah - with the boost knob turned off they're very clean, I mean in a bright, beautiful, powerful, authoritive way.

BUT!! The boost-gain, people; you're forgetting about the boost gain! This is what gives GK its OTHER distinctive, trademark-sound! Its their special "Gate Induced Valve Effect" (G.I.V.E.) Technology. This is not a gimmick; GKs offer a great, warm, 'nad-sy overdrive tone!

Here's a way to really hear the difference: start with the preamp volume set to like noon or above, turn the boost off, and set the master for playing volume. One person plays bass (or you can do the 're-mic' thing with the clean bass signal coming from a tape track, of course), and the other turns the boost up at the same time he turns the master down (to keep overall volume the same). Try it with a nice tenth-harmony, and you can really hear that great, warm grind grow-out as you increase the boost - start turning it higher and higher, and of course it'll go into regular clipping sound (which is a good clip-disortion sound too, but I'm mainly talking about this pre-clip 'tube-style warmth' that GK is definately good at).

I'm telling you: with the right voicing, EQ and boost settings, you can get very much away from the bright, clean, in-your-face sound that everyone keeps talking about. You can get a downright 'mushy' response if you want! ...AND everything in-between.