1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT into Berg610.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Well, after years of playing around with DIs, class D amps, and everything else, I saw a post on here where someone said every bassist should own an SVT at least once in their life. Realizing that every pedal and amp I've ever owned is always made to try to cop a "SVT-style tone", I just decided to go for it.

Found an SVT on craigslist in rough condition. Replaced the tubes, had a shop replace some of the other stuff that was causing only half of it to properly bias - and...

oh my god.

I know I'm being super original here, but the setup I have is a P-Bass into an Ampeg SVT, going into a Bergantino NV610. There it is. The tone I've been hearing in my head but never coming close to being able to recreate. Enormous - but perfectly slotted into the mix. Great midrange, while still shaking the house - but not in a boomy way. Just a powerful, thick way. I'm glad to say - the GAS has stopped for now!

2. Congrats.

Now you can concentrate on getting many many basses, that ALL sound amazing thru it!

3. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    Yup, the secret is revealed. It is just amazingly simple with the right gear. You just don't need all that stuff. I wanted my bass to sound like an SVT so I got an SVT. I wanted my guitar sound to sound like a Marshall, so I got a real (JMP) Marshall.

bobyoung53 and G-Z like this.
  4. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

I've been running an old SVT into an NV610 since 2004 and haven't had big rig GAS ever since. You're preaching to the choir. :D

joebar, bobyoung53 and jastacey like this.
  5. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Yes .... SVT-CL, into a NV610, great combination, great tone SVT-CL&NV610.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  6. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    YES! Looks identical to my setup - but, yours is in much better condition!
    What are you using to hang the bass? That's genius!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  7. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    jwindham likes this.
  8. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Welcome to the club!

9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    while I'm not in the situation where "every pedal and amp I've ever owned is always made to try to cop a "SVT-style tone" .. I do totally get where the OP is coming from here. I use a Tech21 VT Deluxe pedal all the time, and of course, its primary function is to get me some B15/SVT flavors (along with the cab sim, drive and multiple presets), so I have been asking myself a similar question about driving my NV610 with an SVT. I even have an SVT 6pro, but while it sounds good and has power to spare at 1100w, it does not quite do what an all tube SVT does .. at least to my ears.

In my case, if I were to go this route, I would look for an SVT VR so I could get both the SVT channel 1 preamp and the B15 channel 2 preamp.

OTOH, none of that would persuade me to give up my Walkabout (but, again, I have always thought of it ... and EQ'd it to sound like a "300w B15"). I also would not give up the convenience, power and great tone that comes from my D800+ or Demeter VTBP. I also don't think I would start hauling a 185lb rig (85lb head + 100lb cab) to most of my gigs .. so there's that too.

glad to hear the OP is enjoying this great rig.

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

+1!

A lot of folks here at T.B. would say a (real, all tube) SVT head and Berg NV610 cabinet is the best of the best of all possible combinations.

I've been gigging a NV610 for alittle over a year with one of four different heads (but sadly no SVT head) and it sounds from great to unbelievably great with all of them.

I can only imagine how good it sounds with a well oiled SVT head!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not really a B-15 sounding channel, but blending them does sound good.

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Heck yeah it does. I started doing that recently and will never go back!

JimmyM likes this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    And... I thought my Walkabout head sounded great until I started playing through all tube heads, that is...

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    There was a time when a TE Hexavalve sitting atop an NV610 was my main gig rig. The NV610 is a fantastic cabinet, captures the sealed fridge vibe, and fits in the trunk of my Honda Accord. Sadly, I needed to modularize to two Berg 212’s instead. Storage space issue here in AZ.

The TE Hexavalve was displaced by a GB Shuttle 9.0, which actually outperformed the Hexavalve. So, just having a power tube section isn’t the only special aspect of the SVT.

IF I were to put together another old school rig, it would be the NV610 in a heartbeat, with an SVT II Pro in a good rack case sitting on top of it. It’s been in the back of my mind; but, I confess I’m 100% silly pleased with my pair of Berg 212’s driven by my Demeter gear.

pfschim likes this.
  15. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    hard not to be happy with a rig like that :thumbsup:

bucephylus likes this.
  16. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Wow, I imagine that must sound incredible. The only thing that would make me happier than the Bergantino 10s would be Bergantino 12s. So ... maybe the GAS isn't completely cured. hahah.

17. Yes, the 610 was my least favourite NV cab outta the 412 and 215 and 610, but, really all are supreme cabs. Each to their own, naturally. To be fair, I doubt that I ever REALLY ran the 610 hard, and these cabs DO sound better and better the more you push em, so the 610 might well have been even better, louder. But the 412 is a touch deeper sounding, and my current one, 215, deep AND tight.
    Can't go wrong!

Tim1 likes this.
  18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have an SVT with a Berg HT322; massive sound and massively heavy(84 lbs plus 99 lbs)
    Also sounds really good with a GK NeoX 2x12
    It's my reference amp to judge others by.

Remember in the 80's when many were advertising "sounds just like tubes"
    Of course they didn't
    It made more sense to me to buy a tube amp if you want that sound rather than good around with a bunch of pedals

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Here's my SVT II-Pro Premiere (#007) into an NV610T. I don't get a chance to play it as often as I'd like, but it's a killer rig!

IMG_1222.JPG

jdubbass38 and rodl2005 like this.