1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT IV - best way to use it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonofander, Jul 31, 2012.

1. sonofander

sonofander

Jul 28, 2007
    I recently purchased an Ampeg SVT IV Pro. I'm currently pairing it with a David Eden 410 (700rms 8ohms).

I've played a couple of gigs with it and so far happy, but not sure if I'm using it correctly, or if the Eden cabinet is the best to use with that head. Would an HLF410 4ohm be better suited?

Given that I'll probably never need to use anything more than a 410 - if I do, I'll probably get an 810 instead of multiple cabs (I like to keep it simple) - what is the best way to hook this up so i get the most power without blowing up my speakers? Bridged mono? One of the power amp A or B speaker outputs?

I'm mostly using this for small club to 1000+ venues and some outdoor festivals.

2. If you like the sound you are getting now, then the set up is fine. If not then time to move on.

There is no "Right" way to hook up the head. If the cab is farting out you are pushing it too hard. back of the volume. Just be aware that the power handling rating on your cab is thermal, it probably cant do anything with more than 400-450 watts.

For my tastes I dont really care for the HLF. For my dollar I would be looking at a fEARful 15/6 or a fEARless 215. YMMV

3. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    to get the best sound possible, use the bridged mono cable that comes with the amp. not sure what the pin configuration is on that thing, but when i tried using another speakon cable (so i could go speakon to speakon) it sounded out of phase or something. probably something you can fix if you know what you are doing, but it wasn't worth the effort for me at the time. the other trick with that amp is to run the master wide open and adjust your volume with the gain. i can't give you any technical explanation as to why it sounds better, i can just tell you that it does :) gigged out with it for years this way and never had a problem.

4. See I would disagree with this. There is a lot of volume to be found in the gain and EQ of a lot of Ampeg amps. Set the gain high and use the EQ to get the sound you want, then adjust the master.

5. Bridged mono is without a doubt IMO/E the best way to run that head, I would never run it any other way. You may not need all that power but the extra headroom is great and you only need to turn as loud as you need. If the speakers start distorting that is your cue to turn down. ps. you must use the correctly wired speakon for bridge mono mode

Your Eden cab is a great match for that head and should sound great. With regards to the settings on the amp, refrain from using the deep and bright switches as they scoop out your sound and add masses of uneccesary sub low end that will use up your headroom and volume fast. The compressor will also kill your volume and low end fast, I personally wouldn'y go beyond 9 or 10 o'clock on the dial

don't be afraid if you see the gain clip light flash a bit, the head can take it and it adds a tiny bit of grit when you dig in. if you want more clean sound add master volume, if you want to push the tube front end more, add more gain

6. sonofander

sonofander

Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks for the tips. I had not been using bridged mono, so I'll start doing that. That was my main question, I've never been quite sure how that works.

Sounds like I need to get the correct speakon cable too.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I used to own this exact combination.

A speakon connector can be re-wired by unscrewing it. Monster cables however, use a goofy connector - you can't take it off! Check the manual to see what it should be and as long as you have a screw driver, the process is simple. It takes 10 minutes tops with an adjustable connector. Mark the end you mess with since this needs to go to the amp head and the regular end stays the same and plugs into the cabs.

The Gain Knob should be set so the red light is flashing on 90% or more of your notes - that is how you get adequate volume out of the head. The other notes shared here are correct. DO NOT BOOST LOW END ON THIS HEAD. Your sliders 33hz, 80hz 150hz, and the Bass knob do not need to be boosted at all to get good low end. The head (at the neutral setting) is pumping out a ridiculous amount of low end right away. Experiment with decreasing those knobs/sliders and you will see what I mean. When I decreased the content at 150hz or lower, my tone became clearer and more articulate. It helped a lot in a live setting.

8. Trailight

Trailight

Oct 19, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass / Darkglass Electronics / Tsunami Cables
    I use the 4-Pro with a 410HLF at gigs and an 810 at rehearsals.
    The 410HLF works amazing with this!!! Get or make the mono bridge cable for it and you're golden! Congrats on the purchase of a monster amp!!!!!!!! :bassist: :bassist:

9. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Seems a little backwards to me. Shouldn't you use the larger cab at gigs? ;)

10. VKKV

VKKV

Mar 1, 2007
    Greetings, I rarely use the 115 EV cab I have, but the old Hartke 410XL aluminum speakers is still excellent with my 4 Pro. I've read plenty of good reviews on the 410HLF and am considering buying one.. 15"s? Too mid-rangey for my tastes which lean toward Wetton, Entwistle.

Not sure there's a need to run the amp bridged, B channel mono gets a nice growl without blowing out everyone else..

You might download the manual PDF from the Ampeg site if you haven't already.

I just run the B channel out.

My settings for '77 Fender Jazz stock playing with extra heavy Fender picks in clockface #'s..

No Pad
    Gain: 3 O'clock
    Compression: 10 O'clock
    Ultra Hi : Out
    Ultra Low: In
    Bass: 2 O'Clock
    Mid range Level: 2 O'Clock
    Range select # 2 , sometimes #3 for more clarity
    Treble: 3 O'Clock
    Bright: Mostly Out
    Graphic button: In

Graphic EQ is set to boost upper-mid Lows and upper-Mid highs, nothing extreme and with a level adjustment at +4 db.

Good luck,
    Victor
    In Calif.