Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT IV pro + SVP BSP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NioeZero, Dec 17, 2001.

1. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Call me stupid, but I really have no experience with this sort of thing. I'm looking around for a good distortion, and I've heard great things about the SVP BSP. I use an SVT IV Pro, and I was curious if I ran my bass through the SVP before the SVT, whether or not I would have any problems. Would this damage either unit? What about my speaker cabinets?

Again, this might be a stupid question, but better a stupid question than a stupid mistake.

2. Well you could run it through the effects loop, or even the poweramp in, which i belive the SVT-4Pro has. But the thing is, you have to realize that the BSP is supposed to be Billy Sheehans preamp. All it is is essentially putting two SVP-Pro preamps into one unit, only, it puts them both at lower quality levels than the real thing. My recomendation would be to either just tweak the Eq on yours, or get an SVP-Pro for the same price, run it through the effects loop, and using a foot switch you'll be able to switch from the clean to distorted sounds.

3. I use the svp-bsp it's real hard to get a good tone from that thing, the mid controls aren't very wide so I find myself keeping the mid flat on the clean channel. The distortion side is very good for getting the crunchy mid scooped crazieness you hear on allot of heavy metal albums or you can use it for a mild overdrivin boost and crank up the mids and cut the treble a bit for a real in your gut "Iron Man" feel. The mid control on the distortion chanel is ideal for mid range scoops or presence enhancing high mid boost. The one thing I really don't like about this preamp is; there's no control over the low mids at all! Which makes it very frustraiting to dial in my tone...

It's great for distortion but it's very hard to get a clean tone from it, but that's no problem because I use it for distortion and use a svt-3 pro for my clean sounds. I use a Voodoo labs preamp switcher to switch between the two.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yes, theres some jacks on the back of the svt-4 that allow you to hook up an external preamp and use the power section of the svt-4. Its a good idea to use a seperate preamp with the svt-4, but I wouldnt recommend the svp-bsp. If you want distortion, I'd say to check out the Rocktron Gainiac preamp. Or even the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp, which has 5 12AX7 tubes in it!! I think it has a much better tone than the BSP.

download the pdf instruction manual for the SVT-4PRO so you know how to hook up a preamp to it:
    http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/SVT-4PRO.PDF

5. Well that's what i was saying. He should use the same money for the SVP-Pro and then just link it up through the effects loop. Then with a footswitch he can go back and forth between the two with ease and he'd have the best of both.

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Oh, Jesus, thats what I meant to say... I got the BSP and the Pro mixed up.

The clean/distortion 2 channel thing is exactly what I'm looking for. There wouldnt by any output inconsistencies? Like, if I switched in mid-song to distortion, there wouldn't be a significant drop in volume? I don't know for sure, but I'd think the SVP Pro would be a little lower output than the SVT IV.

Thanks for the input.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    ugh, with all that Ampeg junk, no offense to Ampeg owners, in the chain, you'll get so much hiss and hum and distortion and nasty stuff, you'll be disgusted. If you want a good distortion device, get an SWR IOD as a preamp, and just use the power from the IV PRO. Sounds reasonable.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the SVP pro has an overall master volume.. so you could set it to a reasonable level so that it would match the volume on your SVT when you switched. And yea.. just crank the drive and gain knobs on the SVP-PRO and you've got yourself a gnarly distorted bass sound. Only drawback is that using your method you can't blend the two sounds... you get one or the other... but IMO both would be better than the sound you could get out of a BSP, which is blendable, but not as good.

I have a single SVP Pro running through a mackie poweramp. Its pretty much clean, a little gritty, but its very capable of distortion if i want it to be...

oh, and Bohner, the hiss is nothing compared to say, that which you'd get through a carvin poweramp :)

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    *french accent*

hoh hoh, touché.

Well, we'll see. I haven't even tried it out yet. Even though the Carvin is just sitting there on the ground. My cab and preamp still have to come in. Poo, waiting blows.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    like you would know :rolleyes:

11. If you're going after a distorted sound, IMO the BSP is way more flexible than the Pro. I don't like the distorted sound I get out of the Pro at all. BTW, I'd run the whatever preamp you choose into the "power amp in" jack on the IV.