SVT maintenance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Nov 21, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently got an Ampeg SVT AV head and just for the record it is rocking my face off.

What do I need to do yearly, monthly, weekly, etc. to keep it in good running order and keep it going strong?

2. Unless something screws up or it starts sounding bad, you don't need to do anything in my opinion. Just don't sling it around or drop it or anything.

If it starts sounding bad or smoke starts coming out of it, you'll need to have it checked out. :D

3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'd say check the bias every once in a while, and try not to move it while the tubes are hot. Let it cool first... if you have to move it hot, move it carefully and put it somewhere safe to cool down.

And yeah, don't drop it or throw it into the back of your truck from 4 feet away. :cool:
  4. You should check the bias every time you use it (or once a week or so). Easy to do on that amp because it's got the red/green LEDs by the bias adjust screws. Keep them green when the amp's idling and everything will be groovy. Other than that... what Throbbinnut and Rickenbackerman said... Though you might damage yourself more than the amp if you tried to throw it any distance.....:D:D
  5. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok, thanks. What about it being transported to and from shows in a trailer? Is that too rough of a ride or will it be alright there? Maybe I should opt for the back of the van...
  6. If you want to make your tubes last forever, you'll need some kind of padding under the amp for it to ride in a trailer. If you can make an open top wooden crate, line it with a few layers of egg crate foam or seat cushion foam, enough so that the amp kind of floats when you put it in there and you can bounce it a little with your hand, the damn things will last forever. If you don't go to such anal measures, it will still last a long time, but eventually the vibration will do something to the tubes.

Old Ampegs had shock-mounted chassis to help cushion the tubes from vibrations while playing and while travelling, but I'm not sure about the new Ampegs.

My amps ride on a cushy car seat whenever possible just because vibration is the worst for tubes.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Reducing vibration will certainly prolong tube life. Not just when you're transporting it, but when you're playing it! I put a 2 inch slab of foam between the head and the cab, and it damps the vibrations transmitted from cab to head.
  8. Exactly! I do that too. It makes your tubes last much longer. Just pick up a piece of egg crate foam out of a trash pile and cut it to fit between your amp and cab. Cut it so there's a couple inches hanging out on each side of the amp so it will be more stable.