SVT owners please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Mar 28, 2003.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The first rig I ever purchased was a Goliath senior 6x10 and an SWR SM- 500 to go with it. The head puts out 500 watts,the cab was rated at 1000w rms, the rig had plenty of volume and clean tone, but I wanted just a little more bottom end in a 10's configuration. So with this information I thought I would step into an 8x10 cab. I also wanted the flexibility of a small rig, so I purchased 2 Ampeg bxt 4x10 series cabs. Theese cabs are rated at 600w rms @ 4 ohms. The head I bought to go with It was an SVT 4 pro I figured with 490 watts rms per channel (@4ohms)I would be able to run them In stereo and have plenty of power and the flexibilty of using just one cab running off one side when I have small gigs. Here is the problem I am not getting very much power out of the SVT per side, I am running out of head room just before reaching a suitable stage volume (when using one cab)It almost seems like the cab is not even putting out what it says it will. I still have the SWR sm-500 head (wich is 3 years old)and when I hook it up mono bridged (500 watts rms )to one cabinet It cranks out the goods. I checked the speakon cables for the right configuration and they are correct. Did I make a mistake? Are the cabinets under powered? What could be wrong? Should I have purchased the 8ohm cabs and bridged them? any advice is appreciated
  2. What i have found with any Ampeg amp, SS or Tube is I have to crank the main volume all the way up and use the pre as a volume.

My friend has a 4PRO on a SVT210 and the main is all the way up and the pre is almost 3/4. But when he uses one of my derilect Peavey 410's he can turn it down. When I use my SVT CL into my 810 the main is wide open the pre is over half and it's loud, my 2PRO has the pre at 3/4 and the post at 1/4 (heavily overdriven). I just got a SS B5R and it's the same way, cranked. Don't be afraid of the knobs. I don't think you could hurt those cabs, those are the Vic Wooten cabs right?

I saw him front row last year he was useing his sig 410 and 115 two of each and two 4PRO's almost wide open and railing a B string and they were LOUD and they held up.

If you try cranking it and it isn't right take the amp back, you could have a problem. Also even if you are useing a active bass don't use the -15 jack or button unless the bass is just distorting the crap out of it, they are really quite.

My .02, PM me if you have anymore questions.
  3. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    I think there is a problem with ampeg cabs,because i have played with 8*10,4*10 and 1*15,and it s always the same:
    speakers don t support the s very distording,and the construction is not very good .
    i have changed for an EBS cab,and it s really good.
    i had never heard my svt3pro like this.
    it very transparant and resistant.(800watts for a 4*10)
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree you should crank your main volume at least 3/4 and use the pre as your volume control. I have the B4r which is the all SS version of the svt4. I usually turn mine 3/4 instead of full volume because you will get some hiss if you crank it all the way with your pre turned down too low. Also if those BXT410 are the 8 ohm version. you could bridge your power amp into the 2 cabs and get more power/headroom that way. I believe you would get 1600 watts into 4ohms/ 800 each 8ohm cab that way. BTW those BXT cabs ROCK!! a local store has 2 of the BXT 15 cabs and they sound great. I had already bought my 610hlf (that I love !) before I had heard the BXT series or I probably would have gone with those. A little pricey but worth it.
  5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for your replies guys, I got a little impatient yesterday and was a bit overbearing so i apoligize. The bxt cabs have not distorted what so ever and they can probably handle alot more punishment. I have another question, do any of you disengage the limit defeat button? I have tried it and got more power out of the cab and was actually able to get the results I wanted but am conerned about hurting the head. If I engabe the limit button at this volume I am speaking of I experiance some heavy limiting.Do you think this is ok?
  6. That questions makes me think of a Peavey with DDT. I don't think it would hurt anything, if it would it wouldn't have the button. I always defeat the limiters unless I am not sure. I would tend to think you have enough common sense to realize when the cab is having to much power dumped into it. I would defeat it, crank it and watch; if the speakers are jumping out of the cab it is to much. I really don't think you will hurt it though. Ampeg is tough. Let us know what you find-
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I always leave my limiter on just to be safe. Jeez you should be blowin the roof off the place with your set up.
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think a better cab would be the way to go. The fattest sounding and transportable rig would be a 410 and 115. That's what I like to use. Your choice on the cabs. I've heard great stuff about avatar speakers, edens are great also.