SVT Peak Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by totallybacan, Aug 15, 2009.

1. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    Looking around, we can all agree that both the SVT-CL and the 2 PRO are rated at 300 watts, yet they put out more than that. But how much more? I hear double all the time, and the Mesa 400+ peaks at 500 watts with (what I hear) a similar power section. But I've also heard that the SVT can easily match the 4 Pro, so that's about 4 times the RMS value.

Anybody measured it, or have strong evidence of what it is?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would have said 600 until you said you wanted evidence. I believe the new issue of Bass Gear will have SVT measurements in it when it comes out.

3. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    Well, since it's coming from you Jimmy, that's all the evidence I'll ever need ;)

I was curious because I went to see bands playing last night and someone with a SVT 2 Pro had an amazing sound, and LOUD with a 410/15 setup. But I couldn't help but wonder just how loud he had it turned up and how it related to a number as a somewhat source of comparison

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nah, I could be wrong, dude. Generally peak is double RMS, but not always.

5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    yeah double, plus a tad for "peakiness"......... because actual playing never totally loads the power supply, and the voltages are higher.

But THAT same advantage is equally true of SS amps, so it cancels out.

The answer generally lies in the low order harmonics, which have a tendency to add apparent volume, while the higher order harmonics typical of an SS amp tend to be more audibly obnoxious as well as tending to be strongly odd-order which has a "muting" effect.

So the SS amp sounds distorted very quickly when it runs out of power, and on top of that, the harmonics mute the sound.

In other words, looking purely at actual wattage is the wrong road to be going down to figure it out.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021