SVT Preamp Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glasser_cannon, Nov 1, 2021.

1. glasser_cannon

glasser_cannon

Jun 4, 2013
    York, PA
    Hey guys!! I'm currently using a Tech 21 VT Bass, and when I was just in the studio and got to record through a real SVT, I realized that my pedal doesn't even sound like the amp. Have you guys come across any SVT preamp pedals that you think nail the sound? I'm currently looking at the Sushi Box SBVT only because it has tubes, but I'm not really sure what's out there

2. bassness

bassness

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago area
    I bought an original VT Bass when it first came out years ago. I wasn't able to nail the SVT sound with it although I did get a decent overdrive tone. I now use a Master Effects Super 300 and I think it does a much better job than the VT Bass. Is it the real thing? No but it's close enough for my not so picky ears.

When you were in the studio, did you use a 8x10 SVT cabinet along with the head? That is a major contributor to the "SVT sound".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  3. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Got this recently… and I Really like it

4. glasser_cannon

glasser_cannon

Jun 4, 2013
    York, PA
    I did not not use an 8x10. We ran it through my SVT 2x10 and 1x15. Would LOVE to run it through an 8x10, but the other people in my apartment complex wouldn't be very happy with me. Really gonna need to look into that Super 300 later. On paper, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for

5. cusar5

cusar5 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    THE Pedals for the SVT Sound

I settled on the Master Super 300 for my SVT-in-a-pedal needs, but there are several great ones out there.

Lammchop93 and Kendescending like this.
  6. pbass6811 and macmanlou like this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    This..

And the Tone control is not a traditional tilt style EQ, it's actually an adjustable LPF, to simulate the high frequency roll off of a cab, going all the way down to 300Hz at minimum position and all the way up to 10kHz at maximum position, which basically means that you could use this to go direct into a poweramp and a full range PA speaker or a mixer and then PA, while still getting something that sounds like if playing through a bass cab, of course depending on how you set the Tone (LPF) control.

Further more the mid control, quite obvious lets you boost or cut the mids frequency spectrum.

Now, I haven't nay first hand experience with this pedal, but judging from the demos I have watched featuring it sounds great, as does in fact pretty much all the One Control pedals I have heard, despite even if actually being fairly affordable.

I've pondered on getting one of these myself.

Honestly I would have preferred that addition of a gain control, as it is now it only do fairly clean or overdriven at a fixed gain level via the pre gain boost switch on the side of the pedal, both those setting does sound great though, but would have been nice with a bit more flexibility.

To me the regular clean setting is too clean and the gain boost setting a bit too dirty, of course that can easily be fixed by stacking some kind of boost into it, and then just adjust the master level control of the pedal accordingly to unity, but that does makes things a little more circumstantial than they really needed be.

8. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    9D8054B1-7D50-4C71-900C-55EC35542F6A.jpeg D61FDE12-5AF4-4075-8D4B-94276DED6E32.jpeg
    i actually got it just to get some level on a second channel I send out of my aftershock to a PA with a small NUX cabsim (the mini studio) … and I actually liked it A LOT!!!

and it’s a great little travel/practice solution … from the silver peg to the nux mini studio - the NUX had headphones out and it sound good !!!!!

ObsessiveArcher and Iristone like this.
  9. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    I use the VT bass and the Master Effects Super 300. The VT is better at B-15 sounds, while I think the Super 300 nails the SVT sound.

Kendescending, bulldean and yodedude2 like this.
  10. 75Ric

75Ric Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Connecticut
    Broughton SV-Pre also produces good SVT tone.

GrapeBass and Zbysek like this.
  11. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    gotta love it when they use a guitar player to demo bass equip.

dagrev, Loring, StyleOverShow and 3 others like this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    It won’t. The magic is in an all tube POWER section. Pedals and hybrids only address the preamp.

That can still be a nice sound but it won’t substitute for the real thing.

13. 220_Hz

220_Hz

May 9, 2016
    San Diego
    I’ve been able to match my broughton SV-PRE to a 1972 Ampeg V4B, it also got really close to my 1980 MTI SVT but the amp was just a tad more present to my ears. I wouldn’t notice in a mix

I want to try the ME super 300 but love the Broughton

GrapeBass likes this.
  14. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    I actually prefer when it’s not a killer bass player doing the demo … cause then you know , if it sounds good ? then the pedal is worth something …. instead of having one of those guys that can make a squire affinity sound like a 5000$ custom bass

Michael Vee and bignc like this.
  15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    if you want svt master effects super 300.. but if you want a power tube simulation.. torpedo cab.. I use an OmniCabSim Mini though

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have an SVT and a VT Deluxe. For all solid state, the VT is about as close as I've heard, though not really familiar with the new-gen sims. Of course it's not dead on, but none of it is. But it CAN sound darn good. Just ignore suggested SVT and B-15 setting and just get a sound you like and go with it. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

17. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    What is your issue exactly with that demo?

Sounds fine and like a bass to me, and even looks like they got 3 finger plucking technique pretty solid down.

I've seen supposed dedicated bass players do much much worse demos, and that goes for demos made by both those who played much much worse bass than the guy in that demo and those who played much better bass than the guy in that demo.

You don't have to be a master class bass player to make a master class demo, on the other hand you can be a master class bass player and still make a totally crappy useless demo.

As far as I am concerned this is in fact actually a great demo that covers a wide variety of different playing styles with a wide variety of different pedal settings (well no slap, but to me personally that is not only completely useless but also really annoying anyway, for one I welcome the incorporation of pick playing, far too few bass demos covers that in my opinion).

Or than a bass demo made by someone that, while they might be great bass players, seems more interested in showing off their slapping skills than actually demoing whatever equipment they are supposed to, and if they do cover pick playing as well sounds like they are motorically challenged.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I don't know the perfect pedal, all I know is that I tried a Catinlinbread SFT and that was a very quick "nope" from me.

jw23mind and TheLopp like this.
  19. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Giving the VT a hard time?
    Hands off mine. There's no glass in there. You're comparing corvettes to caprice classics. The VT is a working class hero. I combine the VT and PDDI to get both glassy and gritty. Creamy clean and captain crunchy when one digs in. I think the cats at T21 would take it personally;)

Just had an idea: How about a bass guitar with a tube in it?

When someone else pantents the prototype, I might finally learn to keep my mouth shut. Doubt it.

timmo97, Michael Vee and JimmyM like this.
  20. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    No little box will ever sound like the real thing. And it all depends on exactly what one is trying to achieve. If the little box is for home studio headphone use, it may fit the need. If the little box is expected to blow up a live setting, uh no.