1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Svt-pro 6 overheating Help me! :) <3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by h4ckerv2, Feb 27, 2008.

1. h4ckerv2

h4ckerv2

Feb 24, 2008
    Hey guys I been checkin out the forum for awhile but I barely register to ask u all experts a hand with my problem so here it is.
    I recently bought a Svt-pro 6 about a couple months ago .On friday I was playing it on about 3/4 of the volume and after 25 minutes it turned off.in the past I had played it for as long as 3-4 hrs with no problem but on 2/4 of volume and now out of nowhere it did that. I did notice that the "amp 15" button came out after a while I pushed it back in and it worked again but just for another 10 mins it did the same thing.
    Is it overheating? how could I make it better? thanks again

2. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

fuse
    thats the circuit breaker.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut

How many ohms are you running? I believe the the SVT 6 will not like a 2 ohm load if that is what you are running.

4 ohm & 8 ohm only.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The master on 3/4? Where are you playing, Shea Stadium?

5. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    EVEN IF the wattage is understated as everyone says - - 3/4 volume would be sickening loud!!

Unless of course your gain is at 7 o'clock... /

and hold on - -

Do you mean the -15db button popped out by itself?

And why was it pressed in??

Why would you cut the power and then crank up the master like that?

6. Are BOTH of the fans running? Shine a flashlight through the "tunnel" where the air comes out of the back. See if it is plugged with dust too.

Next try removing it from your rack and see if it overheats.

If you are running it at 2 ohms, I can see why the breaker is throwing. There are really two amps inside that run in bridge mono, so with 4 ohms on the cab, you really are running at 2 ohms per amp.

7. h4ckerv2

h4ckerv2

Feb 24, 2008
    aha thanks for the quick replies..well i wanted it to be freakin loud thats why i bought it right? im runnin it at 4ohms and the 15amp button is in the back of the head (fuse right?)
    im pretty sure the fans are workin fine since they're pretty loud :) and no I dont have the -15db button pressed down :p thanks guys

8. Yes, that is the fuse or circuit breaker. Goes right to the transformer. Are the fans spooled way up? I am talking much faster than if you were to leave the amp on for 15 minuets without playing it.

It is possible for those to trip the breaker if the voltages are dipping on the outlet. Less voltage will pull more amperage. Perhaps the circuit can not handle your amp.

If it were overheating, my understanding is that the fans and lights would stay on, but the output would be muted. Mine always ran hot, even at idle it would warm the wall behind it.

It might need a good cleaning inside if it is indeed overheating. However, throwing the breaker is not a normal occurrence if the power into it is within the stated voltage range and your ohm value is correct.

Is your red "mute" light flickering or staying on for prolonged periods before the breaker pops?

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Everything solved? What cab are you running it through?

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is a 15a fuse the correct fuse from the factory?

What kind of rack, if any, are you using?

Are you using a speakon connection?

If so, is it homemade? Do the pins match up with what is written by the speakon connector on the rear of the amp?

Speakon

1 + Hot
    1 - Return

11. It does not have a fuse. It has a resettable circuit breaker. 15 amps

There is a fuse inside at like.5 amps for the 300 volt b+ line

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you are popping the breaker, BUT ONLY AFTER A WHILE OF PLAYING, there are only a few reasons....

One..... you are playing REALLY CRAZY LOUD and are actually pulling a lot of current. I tend to doubt it, but if you run really loud, you possibly could do it, especially if you are running some distortion....... That must be almost impossible to be near unless you are deaf........

two... You are playing pretty darn loud, BUT the amp is in a rack and the air circulation isn't so great. If the back of the amp around the breaker is hot, that could be why.....

The breaker is heat-activated, with the expectation that the heat is from current. If the breaker STARTS OUT hot from hot air around it, it will open at considerably under 15A.

Three... I suppose it would not be impossible for the breaker to be defective or to really be a mis-labeled 8A breaker, for instance.

If you had a real problem in the amp, the breaker should pop right away and no delays.

A few very unlikely problems could cause a breaker to legitimately blow on a fault when the amp is hot. I won't go into that, they are all rare special cases.

13. h4ckerv2

h4ckerv2

Feb 24, 2008
    ey yea i forgot to tell u guys that i use my distorion (overdrive pedal) all the time with it.
    But like I said I didnt have problems about 2 months before this last show..anyways I think i pumped up the volume 2 much ill keep it half way throgh this time instead of 3/5
    thanks for the replies guys :)

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Say no more....... the distortion pedal explains it all...... the pedal makes square waves, and those will have higher actual power draw........

So what's teh music style?

Death metal or Soft machine cover?

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    That's a rather gigantic detail to be leaving out!

If you're going to crank the amp up so much, set your distortion pedal for unity gain, meaning set it at the same volume with it as without it. You are going to do some serious damage to either your amp or speakers or both. Just because all the knobs go to 10 doesn't mean you should turn them all up to 10 ;)

16. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yes, ..............what Rob Mancini said....................

Maybe I assumed too much...... but just to make it clear.........if you are pulling so much power that you pop the breaker, you are probably straining the amp, the speaker, etc. Something is gonna give eventually.

if you need that sound, and you need it louder, it sound like you need more amp....... or two. And hearing aids, eventually also......

A ton of power is cool to mess with, but save your ears so later when you are bored with that, you can still hear to play acoustic...........

17. h4ckerv2

h4ckerv2

Feb 24, 2008
    haha yea i understand ill match the volume with the drummer next time :)
    its only bass and drums so yea its kind of lame if I dont turn it up so they can hear all the notes :) but ill check it out next gig thanks for the help guys <3

18. And I thought I played loud... I wonder how your eyeballs stayed in with volumes that loud...

This could be a new device used in hospitals to help people whose hearts have stopped.

I could make drummers cry with my SVT 6! They stood no chance when that knob went to a little over half. 3/4 and they were silent. Nothing but bass.;):D
    Too bad they stopped playing if I kept it there:bassist: