SVT- Pro IV Pre-Amp Tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Hi everyone!
    I noticed in the owners manual that it is wise to let tubes cool down before moving the amp. Does this apply to pre-amp tubes or is it more for the all tube amps? How long can I go before I need to change them?
  2. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey Roger, how's it been?
    That usually pertains to power tubes, but you can apply it to preamp tubes also. Preamp tubes tend to cool down pretty quick. You can let it stand for a couple of minutes, just to be safe. As far as lifespan goes, preamp tubes should last the life of the amp. But as anything else they can go bad or microphonic. What tubes do you have in it currently? Are they the stock tubes? I can recommend some tubes that can give that amp a little more kick, tonally.
  3. Hi Doug
    It looks like I have 3 12AX7 in this Pro. It is still at the store. I have aloot to learn. Thanks for your help.
  4. Hello again Doug
    I just checked your profile. You have or had a Pro IV did you not like it? In the future I would like to get a good tight 1X15 cab with a short throw.I'm in a Duo and work small pubs. How is the EV? Thanks Roger
  5. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The only reason I sold it was that I wanted to get an early Ampeg SVT, which I eventually did. It was actually a pretty versatile amp. It sounded better than my SVP-PRO preamp/Mackie 1400i setup. Although, I still use the preamp and the Makie is now part of my PA system.

As far as the 15" EV goes, I use it mainly for practicing at home now. I used to use it with my Mesa 410 cab. It's a pretty good sounding speaker. A good friend of mine and fellow bassist had this cab custom made from a local custom shop. The cab is built like a tank. Actually, I may be selling it back to him in the next few weeks. I guess he misses it.:)