SVT Pro2 vs. GK-800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ripper75, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ripper75

Aug 8, 2005
    Boise, ID.
    OK, I am seroiusly thinking of selling my SVTpro2. I really just dont hear it stand out competing with two loud punk rock guitar players. I do like that old school tube sound but this amp really does not have it. Do I have to go with an older amp to get that sound? I understand that the GK800RB might cut thru better, but I suppose I will lose that tube sound and also the volume element which is very important. So any suggestions on a amp with strong sound, thinking Mike Dirnt or Andrew Weiss? Something I could possibly trade my SVT for?
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well Mike used a Mesa Basis M-2000 for a long time.. Maybe look for one of them? Or if you wants tubes, perhaps the Mesa 400+?
  3. trade the SVT 2 Pro for an SVT II

much better sounding ;) , no doo-dads that you dont need, just straight to the point, maybe you need to use the EQ more?

here's an idea, have you tried it with a different cab? what cab you got atm?

a vintage SVT will have a better sound than current models ;)
  4. btw, dont read any threads on my SVT II, its being a bit tetchy atm!
  5. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Have thought many times about moving up to the 1001 II , but my 800 is over 20 years old and never broken and still sound pretty darn good.
  6. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had an SVT2 Pro and had the same disappointment. Ijust didnt sound loud enough. I sold it and went trhough a couple of preamp/powermap combos which are great. And enden up with the awesome Aguilar DB750. I don't really love GK amps but I do like the 800 a lot. Its simple and very reliable but as all GK amps its a litlle bit bright. Just turn down the treble knob a bit and presto.

I'd really recommendon getting something like a BBE BMax preamp and a peavey, carvin, qsc rmx power amp. Not expensive and way better than most heads IMO.
  7. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    oh i forgot. I tried a Mesa 400+ once and that's what I thought the SVt should soung like. I really liked it a lot. Trough an Ampeg SVt810 ti killed. It depends on if you want the tube sound or a clearer but more sterile SS amp.
  8. you thought an SVT should have a mesa sound? the mesa's are mid scooped, the SVT are mid boosted, the mesa's are relativley clean, the SVT's want to be gritty and downright dirty

if thats the sound you wanted you should have looked at a mesa amp, instead of trying to get an SVT to sound like another amp
  9. If you can't cut through two guitar players with a 300watt all tube head, then its not your amp thats the problem, its the way you are setting your EQ or something else. the SVT2Pro should be loud enough.

Otherwise you might want to consider getting more/louder cabs. I doubt the GK800 will be louder...
  10. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    One thing for sure, You will def. cut through with any of the G.Ks, or bump up the high mids on the Ampegs, It's funny how much diff. you have to eq. in a band situation versus just noodling away on your own.
  11. too true

maybe more efficient speakers? but still!
  12. +1 +1 +1 on the EQ issue. I'm thinking that you're too mid scooped for your band setting.

The more mids the better!!!!! It may sound strange by itself, but in a band setting with cymbals and g#%tars... They are much needed to really cut through.
  13. they are really all that cuts through well
  14. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd also recommend boosting mids. When I learned this a few years ago, my sound completely got better with the band and I was always complemented by the band members. Normally when your playing alone, a mid-boosted sound isn't the prettiest, but it works wonders live.

You should decide if you want an all-tube, hybrid amp or a solid-state amp. Then you can choose the amp that you'd want to get.