SVT-ProIV with Eden 2X10 XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Hi everyone!
    Just wondering if my Eden 2X10 XL is enough cab to run alone with my SVT-Pro IV briged into mono? I'll be using a speakon conector to banana plug with heavy cable.

Thanks, Roger
  2. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    You can, but I don't know what the Eden is rated at. I doubt that it's rated for the amount that the SVTIV puts out in the mono-bridged mode. Personally, I wouldn't run that cab in mono-bridged.
  3. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi - Eden's web site (see shows the 210XLT (no "210XL" shown) can handle 350 watts RMS. The 4Pro puts out a LOT more than that bridged (e.g., 1200 watts @ 4 ohms). You may run the risk of blowing the drivers with that much excess power. If you go with this pairing, I'd recommend getting the 8-ohm version of the speaker and just running off one side of the 4Pro (300 watts into 8 ohms, if Ampeg's catalog is correct).

- Mike
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It depends on how you try to use it and the impedance of the cab.

The amp is rated at 900 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 watts into 4 ohms when bridged.

Regardless of whether you use a 4 or 8 ohm cab (you didn't say) you will be OK if you're careful. Most speaker cabs work well with amp rated 2 to 4 times the speaker's rated wattage. This assumes you want clean headroom and will not be clipping the amp. That's because the speaker rating is based on CONTINUOUS signal, which is not usually the case with music.

If you don't trust your ability to keep your volume under control, you COULD fry the speaker. If you use lots of compression, distortion or feedback, I'd advise against it.
  5. Thanks to everyone. I'm in a Country/Rock duo in small pubs. I use a stand under my Eden XLT( 4ohms ) and I'm within four feet of it.We use 18" subs via a mackie Board in our PA.I know its over kill. After twenty-four years of giging I wanted a real amp. The tones are awesome. Is it possible to run only one channel? Will this not damage channel two? I'll keep you all posted! Thanks again.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Roger, as brian said clean power is usually not a problem.

That said, I would watch the volume and watch those notes below low E as well. That much power, run into 2 10's, that much over their rating has a potential to cause problems.

They could be pushed into further excursion than they were designed for.

7. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Roger, Yes you can use just one channel on that amp. You will do no harm to the amp running in stereo using only one channel. This would be the best route for that cab. If you really want to utilize that amp, biamp it. Run your 210 cab to the highs and a good 15" cab for your lows.
  8. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

that pretty much sums it up.huh
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm from the "you can't have too much headroom" school and you certainly won't run out. Not to mention that your amp gives you tons of future flexibility.Careful though ...the power must be used correctly.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Run the 210XLT out of one channel ONLY to be safe, mono-bridging with that much power into that cab is not a good idea. If yours is a 4 ohm cab, you're still pushing it, even with one channel. Bi-amping would be the way to go, as others have suggested, just pop a 15 in the other channel and set for bi-amp. I run a 210XLT (8ohm) out of the "high" channel of my Eden WT800 with a 115XL (8ohm) out of the "low" channel. Even considering the fact that I'm not delivering the full wattage payload (about 250 watts into each cab), it's still a great, clean sound with tremendous bottom in a small to medium-sized club.
  11. Try running the both cabs full range. you can tweak the Bass control and the balance to get where you need to be. This way you won't waste the 2-10's ability to punch out low mids.
    I have a Navigator/WT1000 with tone controls in the power amp, but I keep them fairly flat.
    Biamping was good in my living room (Hi Fi sound) but at volume the full setup was better.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sure, it works that way, too, Bob. I wouldn't know what a rig sounds like in my living room, I use my stuff on jobs and don't have the time or inclination to hook it up at home. Bi-amping offers a clarity, however, that you can't get full-range.