SVT rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Apr 22, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I play thru an SVT and a 6x10 Ampeg cab. The head fits nicely on top of the cab in the notches but I'm getting a rattle or buzz in the head from the cab output. You can only hear it at low volumes but it's still annoying.

I've heard it's good to run the head separate from the cab to avoid vibrations jarring something loose inside the head but I never see anyone actually doing it out live.

Do you all setup with your heads separate from the cab? Is there anything I can do to eliminate the noise without separating the two?
  2. has special SVT Shockmount rubber feet (look in their hardware section). They are expensive though, $15.00 each.
  3. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've been looking at getting some poly vibration/shock damping feet from Mcmaster carr for my heads. I'll make a post here with my results when I get them...
  4. Do not let others' stupidity stop you from doing something sensible.

I hide mine on the floor and tell everyone that I plug my bass straight into my cab and that the amp is built into my bass.

Some idiots actually buy that. ;)
  5. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    With one band, I usually lay my two 810's sideways, one on top of the other, with the head on top of the roadcase sitting next to them. This only works on big stages though, since the rig is 7 feet wide. :D

In the other band there are two guitarists, and although I *only* run one 810, there isn't room to put the head anywhere but on top of the cab... hence the need for vibe isolation. If there was room to put the head somewhere else, I'd do it.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool, have you used them? Do they actually do what they claim to do?

I agree K.O.A., I should not let others influence me. I just was unsure whether it was an urban myth or exagerated about vibration being bad for the head.

I hope I have not done any damage yet.

7. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I was at an Ampeg clinic (Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey) in Kansas City a few years ago. In the middle of the show, one of the amp heads started to rattle pretty bad. They had to switch to a new head to finish the show. Needless to say, they didn't sell too many Ampegs rigs that night! I guess even the "big boys" have these problems sometimes.
  8. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Morocos workgood to stop shaking noise, if not try a baby rattle
  9. I always put a piece of that "egg-crate" foam between my head and cab. An SVT may be a little too heavy for just 1 piece, but for a 100 Watt tube head, it works perfectly to isolate the head from the vibrating cab.

10. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    It could be the fan. I have an Ampeg, sometimes the fan will give me alittle rattle.
  11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I am going to have to start putting it on the floor I think. Last night I tryed it with a really soft blanket between it and the cab and it helped some but I still got the rattle on certain notes.
  12. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    On my SVT I get a rattle from one of the 6550 tube holders. The latch locks tight but the part you grip just rattles around. Interestingly enough when I play my small amp in the same room the vibrations cause the aforementioned tube holder to rattle. So in this case putting it on the floor wouldn't work. Maybe in the next room...........unless you like to play loud:D

13. It sounds like something is loose inside the amp. I would look at getting it fixed. Speaker cab vibration should have little effect on the sound of the amp. I own two vintage svt's and never have any problem with vibration. I would have a tech look at it