Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT replacement speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tryeguy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. tryeguy

tryeguy

Sep 28, 2004
    Hi
    , Ive got an old 70's straight backed SVT cab with a couple blown speakers in it. I need to find some 10" replacement speakers that will be close to original. They must be 32 ohms each. Any recomendations? Ive heard that the Jenson Mod 10 50 in 32 ohm will work, are these decent speakers? Theyre about $35 apiece. How about reconing the originals? By the way, cost IS a factor. Thanks for any input.

2. In order of preference (IMO):

#1 recone the originals

#2 check with the Weber speaker guy

#3 buy the Eminence 32ohm jobs

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Rickenbackerman

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:10 pm Post subject: Speaker reconing - score!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my SVT810's (I have three) has 70's Eminence ceramic magnet speakers that I had reconed by Ted Weber. This cab is one of the best sounding 810 cab's I've ever heard. I've got eight early 70's alnico magnet CTS 10's I need to get reconed, but Ted is only reconing his own brand from now on...

I contacted 5 or 6 different reconers, and the only one I found that does the demag/clean/remagging of the magnets prior to reconing is Orange county speaker repair, to the tune of $75 a pop. That would cost me $600 plus shipping both ways! Ted did it for $45 a pop(includes demag/clean/remag)...

Bottom line is that I found a place that will do it for $45 a piece and includes demag/clean/remag -

www.tonetronix.com

4. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Just get the emminence 10's. I think that they are about $55 or less a piece new.

5. They aren't 32 ohm speakers, a MUST for an SVT cab, and they don't have near the sensitivity or frequency range of the original speakers. The Jensens are guitar speakers and will die almost instantly if your try to use them for bass. They're not even good guitar spekaers; that's why they're so cheap. Modern "Jensen" speakers are low quality Italian imports and are NOT comparable to REAL Jensen speakers which were made in the USA.

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Eminence now makes he direct replacement. It isn't listed on their page.

7. If it's the current SVT 10, it's STILL not the same thing. Eminence makes 10's for Loud/SLM, but they sound very different from the original CTS/Eminence SVT 10's. A recone for $45 a speaker for a BETTER speaker is a no-brainer compared to $55 for an 'approximate' replacement.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    What Psycho said. In my experience, the newer 100 watt SVT 10's are not as loud and brighter than the old eminence square magnet speakers. I'd get 'em reconed by tonetronix.