1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT stack mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by debris, Sep 26, 2009.

1. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have just purchased an Ampeg SVT-15E, which is on it's way from Florida as we speak. Being about to own this cab brings me to an obstacle I have been thinking about for a while, and will now have to act on.

The good: I will be stacking a 410HE on top of the 15, and making a gnarly fullstack.

The bad: The top of the 15 has the metal cups for stacking, but the bottom of the 410 has castors, which will not work for stacking.

My planned solution is to put some stacking rubber feet on the bottom of my 410. I believe the feet have different spacing than the wheel castors, so they won't overlap.
    I actually don't have my amp with me so I can't check (it's at my house and I am at school)...can anyone verify this?

Would a cabinet need a different feet arrangement than that of an amp head since it's so much larger? The way the cups are placed on the tops of Ampeg cabs looks designed for heads, since there are two in the front and two in the middle of the cab. For stacking another cabinet, the cups seem like they should be at each corner of the bottom cabinet so as to give the most stability. Is this correct, or would it be stable enough as is?

Do they sell those feet anywhere? I found the round rubber feet (which go on the bottom of the cab in the corners) on ebay, but so far have yet to see the tall stacking feet anywhere. If they're not available, I guess I can always buy a similar product at a hardware store or something.

Regardless of what I do there, I do not feel comfortable straight drilling into the bottom of my 410.

Does anyone have experience with a mod like this?
    What precautions should I take when attempting to mount the feet?
    What screw length would be appropriate for this? (I guess I can look at the screws on the bottom of my 450H head, which has the kind of feet I'm looking for)
    Is magnetizing an issue when working on a speaker cabinet?

Or, is there a better way to stack my cabs which would not involve modding one of both of them?

Any help here would be hot.

2. Or you could just lay the 410 on its side on top of the 15. I'd pair a 210 with a 15, though. The 410 will overpower it.

3. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Haha, that's a good idea.

I was under the impression that 410's and 15's are a solid matchup sound wise?

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'd at least try the 15 on top of yer 4x10. Allot of guys prefer the 15 on top when pairing with 10" driver cabs. You may find your casters rattle with that cab on its side, do they pop out?

5. debris

debris

Oct 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, the castors pop out from the 410.
    I guess I'll do some experimenting with the positioning and see what sounds best once it gets here.

6. They're usually not, it seems. Given equal wattage, I've learned here, that most 410's will overpower most single 15s, due to greater speaker area. 410's and 18's would probably be closer, but the best combination for me has always been one 15 and two 10" speakers.