SVT surgeon in the Toronto area?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wounded Paw, Mar 17, 2003.

1. While I know a thing or two about amp repair and am learning more all the time I rilly need to find a vintage tube amp surgeon close to where I live. Must love old Ampegs and know them inside out.
    My early 70's SVT is having problems again and while I think it's just related to a bad pot I would also like the entire amp gone through with a fine tooth comb by someone who knows what to look for and what a healthy SVT should sound like. I'm talking re-capping, careful biasing, the whole deal.
    Wounded Paw
  2. I don't know anyone in the TO area specifically, but maybe the guys at Coll Audio could put you on the right track. They do large scale backline rentals and have tons of SVTs, guitar amps, Hammonds, etc. They're in Markham I think.
  3. They've passed me on to someone named Buzzy at Sound FX. Ever heard of him?
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    There are two excellent amp tech's that I know of in the GTA. One is Buzz at Sound FX in Thornhill. He's been working on my amps for the past 15 years of so and the other is Tortoise Blue at Encore Music Exchange.
    I had Tortoise rebias my Peavey Classic 400 when I replaced the original tubes in it. He knows his way around SVT's and other big amps.
    Check them both out if you can, or use which ever one is the closest to you.
  5. There you go W.P.!:bassist: