Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT Tone - Artists and Tunes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Sep 24, 2001.

1. SVT users: please post your opinion of the tune and artist that epitomizes the SVT tone.

I'm looking for tunes with the bass and SVT tone right up front, or solo'ed. I want to put those samples on my web site for those who have never heard the SVT tone. This includes the SVP-Pro preamp users also.

2. Geddy Lee's tone on the '78 concert CD from Different Stages is pretty classic SVT, although I think he was running in stereo with his neck pickup going to an Acoustic 360 or a Sunn Coliseum pushing a 2x15. The bridge pickup, at least, was going to an SVT.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Led Zeppelin maybe? I dunno. Pretty much all the 70's bassists used SVTs, they were the biggest and best bass amps around back then.

4. Anything by *gasp*....

Green Day: Mike Dirnt; P-Bass and SVT

5. I think that JPJ didn't use them that much...i think he used Acoustic 360's and Ampeg B-15's/18's

6. I'm looking for specific tunes and artists, please.

7. I got one... if you can stomach it!

"Would" by Alice in Chains - from the soundtrack for the movie Singles.

The intro part has a solo bass riff that has that SVT sound.

8. Sugar and DDevil by System of a Down I love those songs, anything by Timmy C. he shows how raunchy a SVT can get.

9. Anybody know a tune using specifically a Jazz and SVT or SVP-Pro?

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Didn't Oakley use an SVT with that "tractor" Jazz of his? If so, try the Live at the Fillmore album for many examples. Granted, the bucker on that bass gave the instrument a different tone, for sure. But I seem to recall the amp was SVT. As always, I could easily be wrong.

Also, Wyman played through SVT's in concert (as did all the Stones) on the '69 tour. Live recordings from that period should be good examples, too.

11. I think Bigfeet nailed it... Rage Against the Machine! Jazz through SVT's.

All of their stuff has that real upfront bass that would make a good example.... a few songs with bass intro's or good solo break spots would be "Tire Me", "Bombtrack", and "Killing In The Name Of".

12. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey--

Check out Boston's 1st 2 albums--on the debut Tom Scholtz plays a Gibson EB 3? bass w/ a pick through a 70's SVT--on the 2d album Fran Sheehan plays a Fender Jazz though the same--check out esp. "Don't Look back," "Cool the Engines" and "Staisfied" on the 2d album for that 70's SVT vibe--current SLM Ampeg SVT Classics are differnent animals and while great amps, aren't anything like the sounds on those two albums--I know I own one of each--a real '72 SVT and the Classic Reissue.

Hope this helps

Andy Russ

13. I noticed the RATM "Tire Me" sounds very similar in tone to Geddy Lee's "My Favorite Headache".

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's just that "MFH" was recorded with a SansAmp, wasn't it?

15. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    My Favorite Headache was recorded with three tracks: A SansAmp PSA-1, an Avalon (mic pre or direct box, I don't remember), and one other track. The Bass Player him on the cover has a list of what he used. His early sound came from an SVT and a Sunn. There is a really good page on the internet about Rush's gear over the years, I cant think of where though.

Lee

16. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    That's it! I reformated and lost the link. I saved the whole page lots of good stuff.

Lee