1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

SVT tone in a 210 format

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by diegom, Jan 23, 2020.

1. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

If I want SVT tone in a home-friendly, pick-up-and-go format, is the AMPEG Micro-VR the simplest way to go? Should I consider any other 210s?

Ready to dump my MarkBass...

2. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Ampeg Svt 210av, a compact sealed 2x10, an one quarter of a big ole fridge. Think its the closest you can get.

3. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking... just getting a mini-fridge!
    MICROVR_LG.jpg

@JimmyM , should I consider anything else???

4. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    IME the svt210avs sound good, but lack the heft that an SVT rig is known for. Don’t get me wrong, I love my pair of them, and use them weekly for practice in my Classic Rock band, but if you are looking for an SVT/810 vibe, they don't quite get there.

That said, this demo of the Sansamp VTBass DI and the mic'd Micro VR/svt210av setup gets close, IMO.

I would be interested in Jimmy's opinion too, as he has all of the real stuff....

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Maybe the PF210he, as it takes more power, but it's got a different voicing more along the lines of a 60's B-15 than an SVT 810. Both different styles of great, but the SVT 210av is still my choice for copping a good 810e type sound in a small package.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    True they don't have the heft of the real thing, but the sound is pretty close. I have to boost the bass knob slightly with the 210av to get the low end more in line, but I've sat there a million times with each plugged into an SVT and it's not all that far off, especially if you use two cabs.

7. If you want the heft of a 8x10 you have to heft all 8 of the 10's, not just two.

tchristian, Spyrosaab, Brich and 8 others like this.
  8. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I love my 2 112av's

9. I'd suggest two 210AV's with the Micro-VR; the head will drive both, it looks like a baby SVT, and it just sounds better with the pair.

SteveFromBerlin and diegom like this.
  10. The Micro-VR is the perfect match for the 210AV, but the noisy fan put me off... now I pair it with a PF-350, and I'm happy both on stage and at home.

12BitSlab and PockySteve like this.
  11. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Another 210av user here. Ive had 2 of them for years and they just deliver the old school goods. As long as you don't need insane volume. Punchy little things. I use mine with an Ampeg micro vr, V-4B reissue and a Mesa Walkabout. Sounds great with all of them. Also, while much more expensive, the Barefaced two10 is supposed to be similar tone and vibe-wise to the 210av but MUCH more of it(according to Tom Bowlus's great review article about the Barefaced Two10). The BF can handle 500 watts(probably more) and is still light enough to be an easy haul, around 30lbs. Depending on your budget of course, Id say if you'd use 2 cabs, go with the 210av. If you want a 1 cab solution that can handle more volume than 1 210av, the Barefaced two10 is 4/12 ohm switchable, so you can get full power into the single Barefaced Two10 @ 4ohm setting. You win with either choice.

12. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    This might do:
    Screenshot_20200124-093854_Chrome.jpg

Tim1, SactoBass, diegom and 1 other person like this.
  13. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Same here!

diegom likes this.
  14. What Markbass do you have? I would heavily recommend running a vt bass di in front of it before you buy a new amp.

15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    The cabinet sounds good, but the amp is not my favorite. I recommend the PF350 as a much better match.

16. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ive got two 210AVs and I either use them with my Markbass LMII or SVT. Had a 410 and wanted something more "modular", so if im playing somewhere small I can just take one of them. Or stack them so I can hear them better. The 210s sound great with either, but the SVT has that oomph.

SteveFromBerlin and diegom like this.
  17. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

PF-350 and SVT210av
    20200124_102309.jpg

18. JulienP.

JulienP.

Jan 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    With suggestions from @JimmyM and others I bought last year a PF-50T and 2x10AV. I am very happy with it, specially for home practice and recording direct DI.

19. Dang, this makes me miss my SVT 212av. I recently had to sell it due to financial struggles. IMO that cab is the little cab that could, it was living room friendly all the way up to medium-sized gigs.

Lovep and diegom like this.
  20. Put a sansamp in front of any amp?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021