1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

svt vr inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loulou, Jan 16, 2012.

1. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    Hey guys

Long time listener, first time caller here. Love the show.

I've got an svt vr with the matching 8x10 cab. I play bass and synth.
    Is it possible to use input one for my bass, and input 2 for my synth. If it is possible, is it possible to have my bass coming out the top half of my cab and the keys coming out of the bottom?

Cheers

2. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, you can use both inputs.

No, the amp would need to be stereo power to run each 4x10 section of your 8x10.

3. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    Cheers.
    Is it ok to play both at the same time, or will this decrease the volume of both or any other problems like that?

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I believe it's designed to handle multiple inputs, just can't separate it.

5. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    Hi !
    Since both signals will be amplified by the same 6 power tubes, I would say the higher input will lead to less headroom.
    Power tubes saturation will happen when both signals add to reach breakup level, which will be difficult to keep under control.
    Do you intend to play both instruments loud, or just for practice ?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Personally, i'd put the synth through a small mixer first.

7. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    i think i will just put the synth through the monitors, less messing around. if i could split it i would do it.

cheers boys and girls.

8. I, personally, would run em both into the VR. You ain't playing both at the same time are you?
    A small mixer would be better, but knowing me, I'd probly run it sdirect & eq from the amp

9. nouroog

nouroog

Jan 14, 2010
    Paris, France
    OP seems to be willing to play both at the same time.
    Really not an issue technically speaking.
    Only problem is it might sound like crap if you play loud, AFAIK

10. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
    I run an organ into my bass head,as well as my bass guitar.If you want that kind of dirty organ-ey sound,it's great,but I can't imagine it would work to well for a clean cut synth.It won't damage the amp.

11. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    i wonder if an 810 had enough highs for a synth (or an organ for that matter)

12. loulou

loulou

Jan 16, 2012
    london
    I'm going to run both into the svt. The synth I'm putting through it is a dx7. I would be very surprised if it didn't sound good. But I will keep you guys updated once I have cranked both the bass and the synth up.

Cheers

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My 69 SVT used to be owned by Doug Ingle, organist for Iron Butterfly, who would run a B3, a Wurlitzer electric piano, and an RMI keyboard through it and an Ampeg 412 that had no tweeter. I've heard lots of folks run synths through bass amps as well. Some might want all the extra highs you can get with a tweeter, some might not care for that at all. I fall into the latter category unless we're talking about regular piano or synthy sounds that could actually benefit from the high end response. For an organ or electric piano, though, absolutely I'd want them through a tweeterless cab.