1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

svt vr -> one 212av ...dumb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattZilla, Mar 26, 2015.

1. it will be awesome forever

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. it will be awesome then die in flames

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. celery

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I'd like to get back to jamming with rock drummers and keep that predictable playable ampeg tone, but I am limited to a small two door sedan's trunkspace for hauling. I was leaning towards a custom 100/50w tube head to drive a pair of 112's or 210's until 1) I read on here v4 owners needing 2 212's or 2 115's to keep up with the sort of people I expect to also have to keep up with 2) I discovered in my town a new indy shop- and they're an Ampeg dealer! I FINALLY get to try new ampeg! In stock: a couple pf "halfstacks"; micro cl; svt vr + 212av. Only had time for the micro today, and was pleasantly surprised. I plan on dropping by with my rig to do a comparo asap, but I am without any knowledge on how likely the svt into a single 212 is going to 1) actually hang with marshall halfs and a drummer with ten pound sticks 2) blow up/melt coils- considering it is made to power at least one 810.

2. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    It'll sound awesome, but might not hang with a few half stacks at full tilt. I've never tried that rig myself, but I'd bet it'll get pretty loud. Buy it, and get another 212 cab if you need to- the SVT will go down to 2 ohms, and 4x12 is all you should need to at least hear yourself well.
    I voted for celery, because it's the closest thing here to carrots, and carrots are my favorite.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 212 is not a giant cab, but is not a small one either, and a 212av would sound excellent with an SVT kicking it, and in fact, many bass players use it on gigs that way. The only caveat is you don't want to take an SVT and turn it up into power tube distortion, but would take an SVT's clean volume range fine. Two of them would handle blasting an SVT into power tube overload. Would it handle your situation? How loud are the guitarists and drummer? Hard to predict stuff like that. The 212av will put out, but it's about dead in the middle between a typical 115 and a 410 in overall output.

RiZzBot, 10cc and bradjonesbass like this.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, you need to go in the opposite direction i think; 100w tube bass heads only work with loud-ass rock drummers when you have big cabs.

you'd be better off with the modern formula, small insanely powerful bass heads into smaller cabs made to take that power and turn it into loudness.

in the ampeg world, a PF 800 is plenty fat and juicy while being as powerful as like 2 SVT heads; that into one cab like the 2x12 or 4x10, or maybe a pair of the little 2x10 vintage cabs (if you're careful), and you'd have a rocking rig that fit in your car.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Got to admit that as much as I love the SVT, in a two-door sedan's trunk, getting it and a cab the size of a 212av in there might be a wrestling match. But I certainly understand the desire for t00Bz so I'd be busting out my tape measure ;)

6. I run an SVT CL into a 212AV and that little cab punches above its weight and sounds great too. When I was in high school I removed the passenger seat from my Firebird so I could haul my cab around (girlfriend hated that).i really like that cab, if you need a second one to keep up they'll be easier to move around than an 810. I don't know if you have the room for that-best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  7. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    @JimmyM that power tube grind is like studded tires in the northeast- very necessary 4% of the time.

Suppose I ought to put a Silverado up on the list above new rig.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh geez...my son just bought a SIlverado 4x4 two days ago. That's a heck of a truck but I'd hate to have the note on it!

MattZilla likes this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Yeah, a vehicle with a single purpose that has it leaving the driveway less than eight times per month? I'll be going for the rust, dents and coffee stains (RDCS) package ;)

Dam tho, that svt half stack was gorgeous and I'm sure more fun than any motorcycle or jeep for the same money.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. allredtillblue

allredtillblue Banned

Mar 27, 2015
    The cab is rated at 600w according to their site- why couldn't you crank a 300w amp into it?

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    because if you really cranked a 300w amp to where it was flat-out crunching, it would be putting out more like 600 watts!

for regular non-fuzz bass playing, it should be just fine, even pushed into a little bit of "fatness".

12. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I have been thinking about this same rig. I would really like to try the 212 AV with my MM HD150 head for band practice volume.

13. Dave Campbell

Dave Campbell

Jul 13, 2006
    I used to have a MM HD130 and to this day the BEST tone I've ever gotten with any of my gear was that head into a backline Ampeg 810. It was soooo awesome. That MM was old and tired, though so it didn't last, and I was broke.

I'm glad this topic of the AV212 has come up because I was literally just about to post the same thing.
    What about the gain from the pre section crunched up, with the master down at a reasonable level?

I have an opportunity to purchase an SVT AV amp at a reasonable price, and the AV212 cabinet is on my radar. I also have an Avatar 8ohm 112 cab, I've also considered a second one, so it would be running at 4ohms. I don't see a lot of posts of guys running SVT'S WITH Avatars.

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    totally fine.
    also totally fine, might even be really good depending on the cabs.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    That's the wattage needed to blow out the voice coils, and an SVT cranked up into the red is easily capable of doing over 600w. Not only that, but while the voice coils will blow at 600w, the speakers will fart out at lower wattages, and farting out speakers doesn't blow them right away, but it does cause them to get pretty hot and can eventually distort the speaker. This is why you never go by numbers, only your ears, and if it sounds like it might explode, it will.