1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT-VR Settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Aug 12, 2007.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I finally found an SVT-VR to try out. I tried it with an MIA Fender Jazz and a used Musicman Stingray. I left the EQ flat, all the boost switches off, and the mid switch in the middle. I found the best tones when I went through the Normal Channel 1 input. It did sound fierce, but I was in a rush, so I didn't get to mess around with it that much. How do you guys run your VRs? What kind of settings do you use? I already have 1 on order, I ordered it a few weeks ago, but I happened upon this one in a store. Thanks.

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I usually run mine with the EQ pretty flat, maybe bass and treble boosted just slightly. I turn the ultra high off (actually get feedback with it on!), keep the mid switch in the middle position and run the bass switch flat (middle position). The amp sounds so good with the way it's designed you don't need to do much with the EQ. Oh, and I've haven't gotten the volume knob past 10 o'clock yet!

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Lower volumes I sometimes use the middle rocker mids position (this on my '70s SVT), but at band volume always on the first, lowest position. I tend to add a bit of treble, bass flat or a bit brushed off depending on the room/bass/stage, and do all my tonal adjustments with a little tweaking of the mid knob. a few clicks will either smooth the tone right off, or add heaps of growl and grind, and firm up the tone.

For reggae a tiny bit of bass boost and I roll the mids off a bit more than usual (i.e. flat rather than boosted a bit).

My volume is always around 11:00, this is the sweet spot where I get the tube compression, and can get from clean to breakup with only a change in attack. It's loud but just right for loud rock drums.

4. All flat... the amp by itself sounds gorgeous. You don't really need the ultra high and ultra low switches. But I can see a situation where they could be useful. Who knows... this amp roars and growls like a monster. I have used it at every volume level... Never disapointed me, it sounds great at any volume.

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    on my old svt it's rockers: bass on mids in the far right position and trebel off
    volume to taste--- bass at 3 o'clock ---- mids at 2 o'clock and treble at 10 o' clock.

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    flat... everything straight up... channel 1/normal.