SVT-VR Tube Replacement: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snakesandarrows, Oct 10, 2011.

1. snakesandarrows

snakesandarrows

Oct 12, 2009
    So I know which tubes I need (au7's, an ax7, 6550's) but I was wondering if you guys had any testimonies on what brand of tubes to go with. I'm definitely a tube noob, (first time I've had to replace my VR's tubes) so let me know what you guys like. I initially thought going EHX, and I need to replace them before wednesday! (show) Also, for what it's worth, It's a vietnemese SVT. and sorry, I know this question has probably been asked a million and one times, but I couldn't find any threads on it. Thanks in advance!

P.S. It's funny, but the person I bought this head from on ebay seemed a little less than knowledgeable about the amp, but she seemed to think that she had never replaced the tubes before it was sold to me; still rocking the factory stocks. I played it pretty agressively for a while especially last year at about 70%-80% volume, and this thing is a 2006! Crazy...

2. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I like winged-C 6550, and NOS for the preamp tubes.

3. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If you're going to need them shipped overnight, and there's nothing available locally, get some Tung Sol or Sovtek (cheaper) 6550s and Groove tubes or Sovtek (again, cheaper) preamp tubes. You won't be out a mint, they'll get you through the immediate gigs and sound decent, and you can play around and spend the real big money later if you choose.
    EHX would do the job too.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i've seen alot of people recommend the winged C's, but i don't care for them, since on all of my sets (5 sets of them) their internals eventually became loose and caused a low rattling sound (physically and through the amp). right now my favorites are Valve Art KT88's or KT100's, they look just like vintage genelex tubes and sound just as good as my NOS GE6550A's.

i've have the original sovteks in my '07 VR and they are still going strong with no issues, and they're inexpensive.

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i'm happy with the tung sol reissue pwoer tubes i put in my svtII
    got them from tctubes.com
    tech was happy with their matching and they shipped the same day or the next day...

6. snakesandarrows

snakesandarrows

Oct 12, 2009
    well I finally found a place that had 6550's in Seattle after about 20 phone calls: American Music. And of course they're going to gouge me on price/not-so-great tubes/rush "repair," but I'm still going to get a new "nice" set.

Can anyone tell me about using KT88s instead of 6550s? The guy at my usual amp repair place was sort of on the fence about them, but was pretty vague about why he didn't like them for SVTs.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
  8. snakesandarrows

snakesandarrows

Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah, I got the tung sols, with an ELX 12ax7. Just had the show last night and it didn't sound too bad. I did notice a volume increase compared to my 5-year-olds that were sitting in my SVT :p

ooh, thank you!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021