1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-VR tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by f.c.geil, Apr 2, 2015.

1. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I have a question (hoping Jerrold Tiers answers, but welcome any knowledgable responses):

Is it acceptable to use KT-88 tubes in an SVT-VR? I prefer the tone characteristics of that tube and the additional clean headroom, but don’t want to damage my amplifier. Please advise.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Thanks, Jimmy. I knew that thread was here, somewhere, and really tried to find it. I must not have used the right search terms, as I never saw that thread come up. It helps, but didn't quite answer the reliability and safe/okay to do aspects. Mentioned it, but no definitive answer. Thanks so much for finding that thread, though.

4. Why not PM @Jerrold Tiers? He don't appear to hang out in Amps much lately? My concern would be the physical bottle size first.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I haven't seen Jerrold on in a year or two. Shame...he was a good guy with tons of knowledge. Guess he's doing well with his current work. Hope so!

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes people use them but like B-string said, some of these tubes have large coke bottle shaped envelopes. When plugged in, there isn't sufficient room for the tubes to cool properly and there is a local hot spot. So it depends on the tubes that you get. Some are better than others.

Once installed, the bias and balance has to be set.

7. His profile shows he was here yesterday, but wow a lot of info on his profile is missing! He is a great person, I hope the ridiculous posts and occasional posers didn't tire him.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I did PM Jerrold, haven't heard back from him.