1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT-VR vs. SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave-Action-Fig, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Dave-Action-Fig

Dave-Action-Fig

Nov 28, 2006
    Sorry if this has been done before (did a search but couldn't find it).

But I am looking for a head. And when I play with my school I play over a 70's SVT (Think it's called Blue Line) and it's Awesome!!!!!!!
    So I think I'll like the VR very much. But before I am buying anything I want to know what is the difference between these two Amps? And how much are they like the ones from the 70's?

Any Help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Neither one is the same as an old SVT BUT the VR comes MUCH closer than the CL.
    I owned a CL and as nice as it is, it's not the same. A bit darker, not as defined and it doesn't give you the same smile an old one does.
    I haven't used a VR first hand but popular opinion says it's a great head ,close to an old one.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    CL's a great amp. But I prefer the VR and vintage SVT's because they sound more open and responsive to volume changes. Plus I don't need separate gain and volume.

4. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I didn't care much for the CL when I played it, but I own the VR. They VR is great. Good tones coming out of this thing.

5. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah VR is your best choice and if you want to drive the tubes without blowing the walls off your practice space you can just get a hot plate.

6. I rock them both and they are both great. The VR stays a little cleaner at higher volumes but that could be a difference between the types and age of the tubes in mine. I have new KT88s in the VR and aging 6550s in the CL.

I can EQ the CL to be very close to the VR. In the context of the din of a rock band on stage, those differences tend to go away.

Differences: They have different pre amp sections. Check ampeg.com for specifics. Differences in protection circuits for power amp.

Your profile doesn't list your location. If you're in socal, you can check em both out for yourself.

Also, beating PBG to the post, SVT II non-pro is another great option.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    FYI, the info here : http://thetubestore.com/hotplate4.html states:
    "The most powerful amp you should use with the Hot Plate is 185 Watts RMS".

8. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    That's all one really needs to say. Assuming the VR is more "vintage" voiced, I would suppose you could add the CL generally has a more "modern" tone, which I prefer.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, if you like and old blue line 70's SVT, you'll like the VR. i have both old and new ones and my VR sounds as good as both of my old ones (and both have been fully serviced with NOS tubes and caps). i really like the CL but it doesn't really sound or respond like a vintage SVT to me. (YMMV)

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Investigated both and bought a USA crafted VR. I'm very pleased with it.

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Investigated both and bought a USA crafted VR. I'm very pleased with it.

12. Score!