1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT VR...Worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by collicsws6z28, Sep 14, 2010.

1. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I have access to an SVT VR virtually brand new, never played for $750, however it is made overseas. Ive heard mixed reviews about it so what do you think? Only would be gigging it about 3 times a month total, so I dont think I would have to worry about the expense of tubes for a while...what do you guys think

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I gig regularly about 3-4 times a month and use a Vietnam manufactured VR, no problems here. Frankly, I wouldn't completely hold stock in things that you hear, how many of them have own or even used a VR in the first place?

3. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own!

But be careful! Things that sound too good to be true(like this) usually wind-up being not so good.
    Of course if the seller is someone you know and trust, then forget what I said.

It still may be a good idea to have a reputable tech give it a once over...

4. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I believe the guy used to own a small shop at one point, as he has a bunch of gear for sale. Thing is in pristine condition along with the other gear he has, but will definitly give it a hard look over

5. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    you should let me know where it is so I can buy it.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Grab it. Like Rickett my Vietnam VR has behaved perfectly and is gigged regularly.

7. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Although the $750 price tag is insane I don't think I could bring myself to buying it from overseas. Too risky.

8. Zerstorte Zelle

Zerstorte Zelle

Jan 8, 2010
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, D'addario Strings
    loved my svt vr made in vietnam, until it was stolen in LA last week.

jump on it its worth at least twice as much.

9. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I have yet to hear 1 bad thing about overseas made ampegs.

10. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    LOL I completely misread the OP. I thought it was being shipped to him from overseas for $750.

Yeah if it's a local sale for $750 then go for it!

11. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    hehe. I read your reply as ripping on the amp hehe.

total miscommunication.:D

12. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    No way. Although the overseas SVTs may have a slightly lower resale value than a USA there really is absolutely no difference between them. Furthermore a CL, VR, and Heritage are all the exact same amp. You're simply paying more for the VR's vintage styling and the Heritage's Made in the USA/hand wired designation.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    actually they're not. now the cl and the heritage cl are pretty much the same except for tubes and thicker pcb's, but whereas the cl has separate master and gain, the vr has just volume...and sounds a little better for it imho.

14. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I stand corrected, Sultan of Super Valves

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think you were thinking the AV, which I believe would be true.

16. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    750? ill buy it and i already have one!

17. I've had 3 VR's fail on me in 2 1/2 months, BUT... they were some of the first to come out of nam. I'm sure that the problems have been resolved, and I haven't heard anything bad about them lately.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there was a lot of bad qc when they first made the move. but the idiot responsible was unceremoniously dumped on his ass in late 2008 after the entire company went bankrupt.

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    The *only* drawback to the VR, is the 115v relay limit............Which can be easily modded though.

20. cpt8101

cpt8101

Oct 6, 2009
    Buy it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021