1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT vs SVT (here we go again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 31, 2006.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have pretty much settled on an SVT 4 Pro. But this got me thinking about the SVT2 Pro.

I played the SVT 2 Pro way back in like '94, hooked to a couple of Eden cabinets. I think a 2x10 and a 1x15. This what THE most amazing sound I have ever heard, and I have not forgotten it.

So what would be the advantage to go with a 2 over a 4, and vice versa. I know they are different amps altogether, one being a full tube amp. Does the sound of tubes pushing 300 watts @ 8 or 4 ohms outweigh the power of a 1200 watt tube/mosfet amp?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yes.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Again, yes.

4. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I auditioned one right after the other. Easy choice.

5. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Sounds to me like you've answered your own question.

I would do the same thing though IMO.:hyper:

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Those 2 amps are completely different animals, buy the one that best suits your personal needs. The 4 pro is way more versitle, but if you want to know which one I think sounds better, that would be the 2 pro. But honestly, a Sansamp BDDI in front of a 4 pro gets it pretty close to sounding like an all tube SVT... IMO, of course.

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    well, I just looked at the 2 Pro specs again, and they say 300 watts @ 4 or 2 ohms...8 ohms N/A

So does this mean that since both my cabs are 8 ohms, I can't use this amp???

8. If you connect both of your 8 ohm cabs to the head in parallel your fine ( with the switch on 4 ohm setting ) . Using a single 8 ohm cab with the head risks damaging it.

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    BOTH of your cabs? Two 8ohm cabs will give your head a 4ohm load.

10. If you are running the 4-Pro at the full 1200 watts, all other factors being even, the 2-Pro comes out about even in volume. If you are running the 4-Pro at lower levels, the 2-Pro will overpower it.

11. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    Kripes...the specs say that the2PRO weighs 70 lbs!!:eek:

I have a 4PRO and no enthusiastic drummer out there can drown me out (of course drummers like that I usually end up ditching). The 3 tube pre-amp is decent also. It has more than enough settings to keep you busy finding that sound in your head.:)

So lets see...it (4PRO) has two channels with a minimum of 2 ohms per channel...you could hook up 2 4ohm cabinets per side (in parrallel) and still be ok!:D

How many 8 ohmers could you hook up?!?!?:D

12. floridadave

floridadave

Feb 18, 2006
    How do you figure the volumes are even?

The SVT-2PRO is rated 300 watts at 4 ohms.
    The SVT-4PRO is rated 490 watts at 4 ohms AND you can do that on 2 channels at the same time!!

13. All watts are equal. Just some (tube) watts are more equal than others (ss).

14. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Yes, if we're talking about Ampeg mosfet amps

15. Having played both live through 810E cabs, I can say that the 2-Pro was definately louder than the 4-Pro.

16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    You F**kers...I think I might have to get the 2-pro. I have dreamt about that amp since 1993. And since I'm in the market for a good amp this time and am willing st spring $1300for a 4-pro, what's $300 more for the moster 2-pro...

But now I'd have to get a larger rack. I currently have a 4-space which the 2-pro is, but I also have a 1-space rack tuner I use...

Compare an old Tube TV with a newer non-tube TV. The tuber is so much louder!

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    But how much time did actually you spend with the 4 pro? there are so many different settings on the 4 pro that I am sure it is possible it could have been louder if eq'd differently.

I recently used a 4 pro at a club that was driving a pair of 410HLF cabs. I dont have any idea if the 4 pro was bi-amped or bridge mono, but on only like "3", the sound guy freaked 'cause the bottles were falling off the shelves... and it was a pretty good size club. The thing was LOUD. I am not a big fan of the 4 pro, but had a BDDI on the front end & it sounded really good to me that night.

But I also played through a pair of 810s using a 4 pro several years ago and at the time i thought it should have been louder. I think it was running bridged mono, but I remember that the output gain was turned up really high high & the limit light kept coming on. It was loud, but the amp seemed to be struggling and that was in a much smaller club.

In retrospect I am pretty sure that it was all about how the amp was eq'd. I still prefer the sound of the all tube SVT head, I think it is a richer tone overall, but I think the 4 has more muscle.

Get whatever makes you happy man, it sounds like you really want the 2 pro so just do it.

18. It was the backline, and I don't think I had any features engaged on either. Just fiddled with the EQ a bit till it sounded good. Both were plenty loud, but having started with both masters up all the way (as well as the gains, and just turn down the gain on the 2-Pro and master on the 4-Pro till its the right volume; I don't run through the PA) the 2-Pro seemed louder in the same room. I wasn't specifically comparing the 2; it was on different nights, but I remember the 2-Pro being extremely loud, and I remember the 4-Pro being loud enough, but not like the 2-Pro. With either, I don't think volume is a real issue. It really comes down to which sound you like better; I'm not real fond of either ut I'd choose the 2-Pro out of the 2.

19. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    yeah man theres WAYYYYYYY to many switches & buttons on the 4 pro IMO, definately NOT plug & play.