Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cubeenz, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Ampeg SVT3-PRO

28 vote(s)
  2. SWR Bass 350

21 vote(s)
  1. Which is better and WHY do you like it better for YOUR sound?
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I like Gallien-Krueger.
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    The Ampeg is a real good boat anchor.
  4. I'd say the ampeg. It keeps the bottom tight, and can really cut through in a live situation. The 4 12ax7's and the 12au7 go into overdrive very very nicely. I'd give SWR the nod for jazz anyday though. High quality piece. Played a couple at a local store. But ampeg for rock, anyday and everyday.
  5. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ampeg just has a great sound, all there is to it.
  6. sorry I'll have to go w/ the SWR for rock. I mean Ampeg is classic and all but my SWR WM 2004 and 4x10T kicks more azz than a professional donkey kicker.
  7. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I haven't played either of these amps extensively, but i have put the ampeg preamp against the SWR one. This has been my experience as well as others on the board.
    Ampeg is good for rock, punk, etc... it has a really nice ballsy, "dirty" sound. It does distortion very well, although its still a little gritty without overdrive. The SWR sound is a lot cleaner, clean is the sound you use if you like it, sterile is the sound if you don't. I'm not a fan of the aural enhancer so much. The SWR will give you a nice fat tone or a clear glassy one. Great for jazz and such, but lacking in the "badass" department. They are both really nice amps but since they are so different in their sound, you can't really find which is better until you decide for yourself. Take your bass to your guitar store and have some fun.... then come back and let us know what you got.
  8. I already have the SVT3-PRO. I just posted this thread to get oppinions and to see which of these two seems to be more popular. Apparantly people love oth and it's just a matter of which style you want. I personally like the rock & roll vibe you get from the SVT. SWR's are great amps but you have to like the "hi-fi" sound. Ampeg's are awesome too but of course you have to like the edge you get. Just interesting to see people's oppinions.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well seeing as how i OWN a bass 350 :D

i like it because i of the clarity in the amp. i play jazz and funk mostly, so it works perfectly.

it could stand to be a little warmer though, which is why my next amp will be an SWR interstellar overdrive preamp with a poweramp. best of both worlds.

10. i used to be an SWR fanatic, but lately i've been favoring the ampeg sound for live applications, as i don't really play anything besides rock/punk. that edgy grit is essential because i play with my fingers most of the time. if i was playing anything softer, however, it would definitely be SWR.
  11. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    The Ampeg. I don't particularly care for the sound of SWRs, to me they sound sterile. I've heard others make them sound good, though. I think the SVT3 Pro is pretty good for what it is: not a tube SVT by any means, but pretty good nonetheless.
  13. B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    SWR + Sansamp Bass DI = Endless Possibilities!

14. BillOnBass

Dec 30, 2003
    Las Vegas NV
    Always been Ampeg. Always will be Ampeg.
  15. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Took the words right out of my mouth, Bob! Since I play a wide range of music live (jazz - death metal and everything in between), the SWR + SansAmp BDDI is perfect. For jazz and funk and things like that, the clean SWR sound is perfect and rings like a bell. For rock and heavier stuff, I slather on some raunch with the BDDI. Perfect!
  16. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I've fallen in love with the EBS Fafner + 6x10's

17. Ampeg or Mesa.

That's it for me. Anything else can kiss my hiney.
  18. amped1

Aug 24, 2002
    My current rig is SWR and I'm happy with the tone, but reading the responses from Ampeg users and SWR users makes me wonder, what makes the SWR tone different than the Ampeg. Is it the speakers and cab design or the electronics or alittle of both. Anybody mix and match Ampeg and SWR?
  19. i run a swr 750x with a sansamp rbi....i can sound like whatever i need to, the sansamp really made the swr come "alive" :):):)
  20. i went for the ampeg. i'm a hardcore tube man, so i'd have picked something else, actually, but the SVT-3Pro does give you a bit of the tubey tone that all-glass rigs have.