1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT with Portalflex 15's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OhMyFawd, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. OhMyFawd

OhMyFawd

Dec 21, 2016
    I've got an SVT in the shop and two pf115's I use on the road a lot. I was considering giving the SVT a go with them. Anyone use this combo?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I did briefly just to see what it sounded like, and it was killer. It's a bit awkward placing an SVT on top of those cabs, but other than that, no reason it shouldn't sound great.

3. OhMyFawd

OhMyFawd

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks JimmyM, I'm going to give it a try, nothing to lose!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    As Jimmy says, it should work just dandy. I gigged regularly with a pair of B-15N cabinets, outfitted with JBL E-140's and a Walter Woods MI-100-8 . It sounded really great, but under powered. The newer PF115's have a higher power rating, so you'll get more sound out of them. Just remember that you're running a 300 watt RMS head at 4 ohms

Ric

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    just about any decent head with a 2x15 would satisfy at least 80% of all bass players.

OhMyFawd and ScottTunes like this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    obviously you wanna strictly use both cabs, since SVT heads want to drive 4Ω not 8.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You don't have to stack the head on top. I often leave it on the floor or on an ATA case. Saves lifting.

JGbassman likes this.
  8. OhMyFawd

OhMyFawd

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks all! I'll definitely only run it with the two of them, probably with them side by side and the SVT in the middle. I've got other options: fridge, 610, etc. but I like the modular capabilities of having the two 115's on the road for now. They aren't the loudest 115's I've ever had, but I like the punchy sound of the sealed cab, figured it might suit the SVT's character. I'm glad others have tried it with success!