SVT- Wow!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So I stopped by Guitar Trader yesterday to pick up some potentiometers, and what is sitting there, but this shiny new SVT and 810 cab. Hadda try it ;) . So I tried a MIM Jazz, MIM Precision, Squier 5-string, and a MM Stingray through it. ALL sounded fantastic (except the Squier B string, but that's a whole 'nother story), deep and round across all strings.

Here's a question, though. Throughout my bass-playing "career" (that's in quotes, because I haven't made a living at it), fifteen + years, I've had a problem with bass response "dropping out" on the D and G, or sometimes just the G, so that notes played on these strings sound thin in comparison to the E and A. This phenomenon was remarkably absent while playing the above basses through the SVT, even though they varied in design and quality. Could this be because I've always used 15" speakers? Or is the SVT head that good?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't want to start a flame war, so I'd better preface by saying the "this is my experience, not an absolute truth."

I've played "The Elephant" several times, most recently a red limited edition one as a rental in St. Louis for an out of town gig.

What you say about the "schizoid" B-E-A vs. D-G personality of modern basses is a widespread bitch in the bass community. The LB75 I took delivery of in Dec. is one of the "beautiful" sounding basses. "Where's the beef?" Which is why I recently got bids from several luthiers on a bass I hope to have completely spec'd out, that, I hope, will sound like a serial killer who forgot to take their Prozac.

If any amp is going to make up for the "beautiful" articulation and "airiness" of the D and G it is certainly an SVT. However, did you notice the cab is an infinite baffle design WITHOUT a horn/tweeter/piezo? Hence, one reason it excels in the "THUD" factor, plus their entire design. Their amps have a signature tone. Your 15's aren't the culprit. The make of your amp is. Ampeg has amps with 15"s and they still retain the tone you get with the SVT's 8-10"s, but on a smaller scale. (Who wants to lug around two cabs of 4-15"s?)

But if I want steely, crystal clear, transparent, treble, it wouldn't be my first choice. I might be looking at the more hi-fi's like SWR's. That's no dis on Ampeg. I love `em. But if it could do it all, why so many makes that compete toe-to-toe?

My guess is you didn't give it a test for for ringing, singing, highs.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the cabinet, not the head. The 8-10 cabinet rolls off the fundamentals off the lowest notes (Ampeg claims response only to 58 Hz while the open E is 41 Hz and open B 27 Hz). This is why the strings seem better balanced to your ear.
  4. Exactly. :D
    Bah, I can't figure out how to get quotes all nice like everyone else does? How do you do it?

[Edited by Spacegoat on 02-12-2001 at 02:55 PM]
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Like this.

Use the "quote" button, silly :eek:
  6. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Okay, you asked for it! Watch me use the "quote":
    Nice, huh? Just a minor correction: low B is approx. 31 Hz. Low A (bottom of an 88-key piano) is at 27.5 Hz. (based on A-440 tuning, of course).

- Mike
  7. OK, Sarcasm switch on: Naw, I was too stupid to try the "quote" button. Sarcasm off. Actually, I used it but I couldn't get it to do bold letters and "originally posted by:" perhaps I should have given a better description of the problem and maybe I wouldn't have looked dumber than I actaully am....heheheh.
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So maybe I should buy a 4x10" cab? The 8x10" seems a bit much, and I don't really need 300 watts at this point.
  9. JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeah, the SVT is the King, but why just to get some of the basic good sound when you can get the pure 300W rage and anger with sweet and round tones too thru massive 8x10 cab.

I got my SVT stack last October from States ('72 head and late 70s cab - yippee!!!) and my SWR has been sitting quiet since then. It gives me all the response I need - though the B string does not cut, because of the balancing of the stack, but for my 4 stringers it really rocks. I am also planning some day play jazz thru SVT and then my solos really kick ass..

Nufff said.... back to lurk mode!!