1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT1000 problem or cab problem? Chirping distorting on certain freqs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Question for you amp/cab gurus. I’m planning on taking my rig (SVT-1000 into an Avatar 412Bass) into the shop tomorrow. I just got the SVT off of craigslist about 3 weeks ago. The 1st time I tested it at gigging volume in our rehearsal space and I noticed a slight chirping/distortion on the A and D strings up around 5-9 frets (this of course seems REALLY odd to me). I engaged the 9-band EQ and boosted a mid freq (don’t remember which one) and the chirping/distortion REALLY jumped out so I disengaged and just kinda figured it was a problem with the 9-band EQ that I’d have to get looked at. Been playing it at my house since (NOT at the same volume) with no problems at all….sounds GREAT with my bass going through a BDI21 then a compressor into the passive input. Fast forward to this past Monday at my first full band rehearsal and the amp/cab started doing it again almost immediately without the 9-band EQ engaged. I don’t think it’s my cab because it’s been fine with my two previous amps although….I’m no tech so it definitely could be. Has anyone else run into a similar situation where certain notes/frequencies were distorting (really weird chirping sound) at gig/rehearsal volumes? If so…I’m really curious about the outcome. Please let me know.
    Thx
    Barry

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If the EQ affected it, that strongly suggests that the noise is either very early in the amp, OR that it is coming in the input.... in other words, that the amp is just doing its job and amplifying the noise. (A small chance it is something in the amp).

Also probably not in the speaker from what you have said.

You might want to try the same instrument etc in a different amp.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks!...yeah I'm pretty sure it is the amp. I ran straight into it without my BDI or compressor when initially running it through it's paces that's when I first noticed it. Oh well....hopefully the tech will diagnose it tomorrow and get it working properly soon.

Another question.....could pole piece height do this? I mean....the same bass through previous amps didn't. I'm just wondering if the Ampeg's input is super sensitive.