1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

svt2 non pro bias

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by roonjuice, Apr 22, 2009.

1. roonjuice

roonjuice

Aug 21, 2006
    HI guys, long time no type (ive been very very busy!!!)
    the time has come for me to change tubes in my beloved amp. i am goin from 6550's to kt88's and i have scoured the internet and done all the searching of various sites i can bear!!!!. the ampeg site just brings up the preamp version of the svt2 non pro, and the schematic is not forth coming

anyone know how i should bias this? i'm pretty confident in my abilities rif i have the correct info.
    many many thanks in advance guys
    take it easy
    r out

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    It is a while since I owned my non pro, but as I recall it is no big deal and the instructions were printed on the back of the chassis. I used my Ampeg 810 cab to provide the load and inserted a multimeter into each of the two points provided on the back, then simply turned the slotted pot head at the back to adjust it to the required voltage. Again, IIRC. Great amp - I still miss it.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    This is a simplistic way of setting bias. The correct way uses a signal generator, a dummy load resistor rated at about 300W and a scope. You adjust for minimum crossover distortion.

Paul

4. Hi.

+1, the cross over distortion method works well with most tubes and on most of the circuits.

OR, if You're as confident as you say, build a bias probe, measure the anode voltage, do your math and go from there.

Regards
    Sam

5. GHet an unbiased opinion 1st ;-(