1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT2 Pro at GC. My first "is it worth it?" thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    After over 21,000 posts, I'm putting up my first thread of this type ... I think.

OK, so I was browsing around at Guitar Barn yesterday, killing time waiting for Bass San Diego to open, and saw an Ampeg SVT2 Pro on sale for $1,099. With a list price of over $2,500, I thought it might be a deal. I tried to lift it, but I think they have it bolted down to the 810 cab underneath it.

So is it a good deal? Should I nip it and flip it?

BTW, I bought a Bergantino AE212 at BSD, but that's a topic for another thread.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    is it new? if so, that's pretty super. if not, i've seen them as low as $700-800 used so i'd try to get it down a little.

you're almost exactly on schedule with the svt purchase, btw. who called it?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Purchase? Purchase? Ampeg? I'm thinking not.

Anyway, it's a bit shop worn, but new. That, and it's apparently super-glued to the cab below. And after laying out the coin for that AE212, you would have to have been apoplectic over the amazing deal for me to consider buying it. I'd only have it long enough to sell it, but if there's used ones out there at $700, it doesn't sound like an easy flip. This is the same GC where I bought a new Peavey VB-2 for $349 and flipped it for more.

You did call it though. But it's just not a happening thing.

4. Those SVT's get like that after awhile, keep getting heavier , I have the VR... tryed to keep in shape. Seriously totally the big rig, all bass players should have 3 rigs.....ya small...med....big . Mark , Mesa ....and the Ampeg ! Got to love em..LOL

5. I didn't even know they were still in production. I got mine new from GC for $700 years ago, they had a bunch of Ampeg on clearance to make room for then new-to-GC GK line. If memory serves I traded it for a Berg HT 210/115 stack, don't know if either of us got hosed monetarily but we were both happy.