svt2-pro, sound loud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Nov 9, 2002.

1. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi, I know the svtII-pro tones, and I love it, but I have tested this one in a small music shop, I don't know if on the stage it is sufficient to hear myself without a constant overdrive sound! Can a svt2-pro sound clear at high level? now I've got a 450W SS head, someone tell me that a 300W all tube head, is very very louder than a 450W SS, what do you think about it?
    Thank you,
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Personally i do think that a 300watt tube head is louder than a 450 watt ss head............but the 300 watt tube head will get driven in the process of getting louder. If you want "clean" volume then stick to High Powered SS.
  3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    to my understanding (could be wrong) tube is not louder or more powerfull than solid state, but is instead more pleasant to hear. tube watts are more pleasing to the ear thus seem louder than solid state watts, but relatively they're louder. not totally sure about that. but what i am totally sure about is ampeg is known for having that grindy sound you're talking about. if you want a good clean amp you might want to look somewhere else. but if you do want to go with a tube amp that will be clean at high volumes you cannot go wrong with the mesa boogie 400+. that amp will put consistantly put out a very very LOUD and clear signal while staying clean.

P.S. that top stuff could be a bunch of bs but who knows. but a 300 watt tube amp will be heard and felt much better than a 450 ss amp
  4. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Had a similiar problem. If you NEED clarity and great tone at high volumes. thew SVT-2Pro will not deliver. As you head into the upper DBS of that head you will start to distort.
    I bought an SVT-4PRO 1600w SS power wirth tube pre. Very chunky and CLEAN CLEAR tones at absurd sound levels.
    In My opinion the tone at lower volumes is better with the SVT-2, but at higher volumes you can get a nice SVT-2 pro sound from the SVT-4 without the fuzz.