Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT2 pro vs SVT3 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grind It Out, Mar 23, 2004.

1. hey

I'm new here so i donno if this question is old hat, but, between the ampeg SVT2 and SVT3 pro head, what is going to give me more overall output...the svt2 is 300watts all tube, the svt3 is 450watts tube preamp and mosfet power amp...basically, does tube power offer more output (total decibles) than mosfet?

thanks

matt

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    svt-IIpro is going to be louder.

3. I can't tell you how it will sound in comparison to an SVT-3, but I am running an SVT-2 Pro through an Avatar b210 and b212 and it sounds killer. The tone is amazing for what I play, which is basically punk, but I know that you can get other sounds out of it because I have. You wouldn't be dissapointed.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Considerably louder.

5. They also sound quite a bit different because of the difference between tube and solid state power amps.

6. thanks guys, making the decision a lot easier for me...as tempting as it was to save all that money, i think im going to stick with the svt2...ive always used solidsate/mosfet amps until now that i can afford a nice tube one...clearly its worth it...my guitarist is running thru a line6 100W combo in one band and in the other its a similar crate combo...i think ill be mroe confident about keeping up with them now...thanks for the replies

matt

7. Now they will be trying to keep up with you! :D

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'd keep your SVT2 - I tried an SVT3 for a while and it sounded good (I'll give them that) but didn't have nearly enough power.