SVT212AV cone centres

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kat888, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    This may seem a weird question but can anyone tell me the rough coordinates for the centres of the drivers on the SVT212AV? Millimetres, centimetres ... or even your Yankee inches will do at a pinch.

My front grille really doesn't want to come off and I don't want to damage plywood/tolex levering with a screwdriver or whatever.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Use a folded-up towel between screwdriver and cab, and try to lever your screwdriver against the amp corners and not the wood. They are difficult to get off, but if they weren't, they would be like my old flatback cab and fall off at inopportune times.

kat888 likes this.
  3. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    ...revealing the boombox and crate of beer within.

I'll have another try then. Thanks.

12BitSlab and JimmyM like this.
  4. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I use a screw in the top left hole in the Ampeg logo/badge. Let it hang out enough to grab it with pliers and pull the grill loose.

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Hot tip on removal of Ampeg grilles:
    Go to your local Mercedes Benz dealership and ask to buy the special tool for removal of the gauge cluster. The tool has a big plastic handle and a thin, long, 90* steel hook. Insert the hook between grill and csb, turn it 90* to grip the grille and then pull.
    Easy, safe and not overly expensive.

agedhorse likes this.
  6. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Just shine a flashlight through the grill and you will be able to see the speakers

JimmyM likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Should point out that the 212av has two little tabs with a loop that you can stick a screwdriver in to pop off the grill. I don't know if this tool will help with that, but it would certainly help for cabs without the loops.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Here is the tool.
    s-l300.jpg

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    $5 HF plastic auto trim tool set works fine and lasts a long time. Wont scratch auto paint, but I would use those in conjunction with the jimmytips above, becase they could dent the wood and crack the paint.

agedhorse likes this.
  10. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Thanks all.

I have tried pulling on the loops but the grille won't budge, almost to the extent that Inthink some peactical joker has glued it in place.

More elbowgrease required I think.

11. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Or you do what I suggested. The grilles on my Ampeg cabs seemed to be nailed in place, but using the tools I could remove them without the tiniest scratch.

JimmyM likes this.