1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT3 and SVT410HE = not much volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1987, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 1987

Jun 17, 2006
    Hello,

I recently upgraded my setup to and SVT3 head and SVT410HE cab, which I bought secondhand. I thought that this would be enough to compete with a 100W Marshall head and cab set on 5. I've still had to crank my amp to come close.

Is this normal? Does the level control on the back of the cab do anything? Is it my eq (everythings on around 5)? Am I using the wrong speaker connection (I'm using the weird looking one, not the usual jack-jack speaker cable)?

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. i think the cab you have is 8 ohms, so youd only be getting 275 watts i believe. this could be the problem. add another 8 ohm cab or get a 4 ohm one and youll get the full power available.

that or turn your guitarists amp down and pull the knobs off haha

3. Yeah +1 w/ above post/reply- altho is the SVT410HE a 4 ohm cab- I seem 2 recall that it is????? I had the SVT3PRO w/ a SVT 410HLF cab & found -yes U DO have to crank it!! U can also use the Graphic EQ & its far right side slider-the EQ volume- as a boost= gives U a bit more headroom! Remember U can run the gain pretty hi, put the tube voltage control all the wayleft & get some nice OD. or all the way right & get a cleaner sound.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My last amp was an SVT3-Pro, and as rodl2005 said, to get the most out of it be sure to have the EQ button on and push the "Volume" slider (far right side) all the way up. I'm pretty sure the 410HE is 8ohm, so your potential is limited. A 4ohm cab or another 8ohm cab will get the most out of your head. Also, bumping up the mids and highs will help you be heard.

5. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    + 1 to all of the above. The Ampeg site lists the 410HE as an 8 ohm cabinet. You need to add another 8 ohm cabinet or swap it for a 4 ohm cabinet to get the most out of the amp. Be sure to engage the the EQ and slide the fader to the far right all the way up. Stay away from the high and low boost switches. They rob dBs in your output! Reinforce the mids and rock out!

At a gig last night I had the sound guy complaining that he couldn't get me into the board mix because I was too loud with Master set on 3 and the tube gain on 7! This was an SVTIIIPro into a 410HLF cabinet.. :bassist:

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Get an Ampeg SVT15e cab to put under that 410 and you'll be fine.

7. I of two options. Either sell your 4x10, and get another 4x10 thats rated at 4 ohms, not 8. Or get a second cab (1x15s are great) thats rated at 8ohms as well, and use them both. That would equal 4 ohms.

Lastly, make sure the Main EQ Slider (the last one on the EQ) is maxed. Thats nessicary to getting the max amout of volume out of the SVT-3.

Good luck!

8. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    I used a SVT3 Pro for a while. In my humble opinion, if you have a loud drummer, the SVT3 is not going to cut it. I think as we all started upgrading our equipment we moved to the "SVT3" wattage arena thinking we now finally had enough power. My experience is that to play with a loud guitarist and loud drummer, 500 watts (with appropriate speaker combination(s) is about where you need to be and more wattage if you can afford it. I hated having to boost my mids to cut through, that's not the sound I was after. More power gives you the ability to play and sound like you want.

9. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    I too have found the SVT3 to be underpowered. Especially with an 8ohm cab. The dial on the back of the cab runs the tweeter and will only make the sound brighter. Go to Ampeg.com and download the users guide for the SVT3, it has popular EQ settings you could try. As for getting more power you can get either another 8ohm cab for underneath. But if it were me and I was competing w/ the Marshall - it'd be 810 Classic time. The only time I enjoyed playing an SVT3 was actually while using an 810 cab. I love the tube drive knob on those amps. Also try to avoid cutting the mid-range eq too much if you want to cut through.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh and P.S., the built in DI for the SVT-3Pro is TERRIBLE, especially if you're overdriving the preamp. Just FYI for those who're about to say "well, that's what PAs are for."