Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT3 Pro issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freebeer, May 8, 2003.

1. Hey all. My SVT3 Pro has an issue. When using just the power amp side of it all is good, but when the preamp is used the sound comes in and out and crackles a lot. You can give the amp a little whap on the top and the sound comes back in. I was going to try replacing the tubes first and hope it goes away. Anyone else experience this? The tubes have been in there a while and it gets quite a bit of use.

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Hi,

Yes indeed, I would think about changing out those tubes. SVT-3's to my knowledge have 5 tubes in them (4x12ax7, 1x12au7). If money is an issue, you could get yourself one new 12ax7 and exchange through the exisiting tubes until you find the problem tube. Be sure to keep all tubes in the sockets at all times when running the amp!! An empty tube socket will give no output and of course be careful handling hot tubes.

Hope this helps.
    -Vinnie

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The problem I had with mine was not nearly as severe as yours, but the intermittent popping and crackling was still annoying. Someone here suggested burning in the tubes, i.e. leaving the amp powered on for 24 hours. I actually left mine on for over 36 hours, and the noise has almost completely disappeared. I kinda doubt this trick will work for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

4. I owned an svt III pro for about 5 years and never had a problem with it (except that it is a little under powered). But I own two vinatge svt's and one had the snap crackle pop issues. So of course I swapped a whole lot of tubes and this seemed to help except there were still a couple of sockets doing it so I found this caig pro gold GXL and painted on the tube sockets before putting them in. Problem solved.

5. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I dont mean to rag on ampeg heads but I feel they are horrible. To me, they seem underpowered and lack the proper tone for bass. Actually, they lack the sound I want. More bass but enuff tone.

I do suggest maybe buying a powramp and getting the preamp of your choice. Youll get more power and a better soud. For about the same money if you do the right thing.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    He already has the SVT-IIIPRO so I don't think he could get a Pre-amp & power-amp of choice for the same price of fixing the SVT-IIIPRO.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Right,,,well....

I'm not a huge Ampeg fan, but they are great amps.
    I just don't like the tone. But the fact remains they are fine amps.

And you recomend to replace the whole rig when he is fine with the tone he has??? :confused:

I'm sure it's a reletivly simple thing to fix, check the tubes.

But I DO suggest you get SWR stuff, Ampeg suks. duh.:rolleyes:

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Silly boy. You need :help:

:smug:

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Actully, I don't really like SWR stuff either, I was just trying to ,,uh,,oh forget it.:oops:

10. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003

Really sounds like a tube needs to be replaced. Try that, if it doesn't clear up, maybe a tube socket that's funky (repair man time!) Preamp tubes can last forever, but.....some don't. This is kinda normal maintenance stuff for a tube amp. I've played guitar and had some tube amps-smacking the amp to get rid of the (bad) tube crackle is sometimes what you need to do until you replace the tube.
    IMHO.

11. thanks fella's. Also...I cannot stand the SWR sound. I respect the brand but I am an ampeg guy. Also...The SVT3 pro is my practice head...I have a mid 70's SVT that is for the gigs. That thing still blows me away with it's tone everytime I turn it on. I have yet to come across another amp that just fills the room with the warmth and tone that the SVT does. I'll take that amp to the grave with me I think.