1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVT3-Pro Makes Popping Noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thrilbilly, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Thrilbilly

Thrilbilly

Mar 19, 2006
    I recently purchased a SVT3-Pro. I found tonight that if you leave it on with the mute button pushed in it will make an occasional pop or popping noise.

Can anyone give me any info on this?

Thanks,
    Thril

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've never noticed this happening with either my SVT3 Pro or SVT4 Pro (both of which are several years old). I'd be calling the company and asking to speak to someone in tech support. I have to say that I've been reading and hearing some pretty unflattering comments about the quality of the more recent Ampeg gear lately. Hmmm.

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Could be worse, it could have been a pooping noise.

Might be dirty power. If the mute circuit just drops out the preamp (just guessing here, never had one on the bench) then any junk coming in from the wall socket will still reach the speakers.

edit: could also be thermal effects and a poor connection / loose wire / poor soldering somewhere

4. Thrilbilly

Thrilbilly

Mar 19, 2006
    Thanks, It did it about three times and then set for sometime and did not do it. Never had an amp with tubes. I did not know if they had to unload or what on occasion lol.

BTW, I got the amp off ebay and it is a made in USA amp.

Thril

5. My SVT-3 PRO is doing the same thing. It sits here by my computer
    while I'm working. It seems that it makes a little popping noise
    every hour or so. I tend to believe it's a tube but I'm waiting for the
    problem to become more pronounced before I try to figure out which
    tube it is.

By the way, mine is a USA amp, too. I bought it new about 1.5 years
    ago. I've already had to replace one tube.

6. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    I hear you guys. I had 2 svt3 pro's and 1 svppro do the exact same thing (all bought new). Eventually they had a constant buzz that I could not get rid of. They all went to the tech.

7. Thrilbilly

Thrilbilly

Mar 19, 2006
    I gigged with mine last night and it did not notice it doing it during the 15-20 min. break periods. I am hopei it had something to do with were I had it plugged in as my wife was doing laundry at the time and the dryer and washer was off and on.

Thril

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I would look at tubes (dirty tube sockets) or a cold solder joint as leading causes as this tends to be an issue with these amps; both of which occured with my 3 Pro.