Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVT3-Pro or a Traynor Yba200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Oct 10, 2005.

1. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Hey gang, I don't like making these threads but it's for a friend of mine.

He found a used SVT3-Pro at a local shop for $650 but they don't have any cabs to test it out on. I looked at it and it looks pretty much brand new but I fear it won't be loud enough to keep up with two 5150's cranked in a show setting with an 8ohm Carvin 4x10. I played the 300H at a gig and could not even keep up with one half stack and a somewhat loud drummer where my Coliseum 300 could keep up just fine (the coli died the night before at another gig so I borrowed from another bands)

The Traynor YBA200 is my idea for the solution to his headroom needs but he wants to try before he buys but no one in our area deals with Yorkville so it's basically word of mouth right now from me pimping it after all the positive posts on here about it.

They Traynor is cheaper, all tube 200 watts, and would really compliment the band (I left that band a few months ago)

So if you were in this situation which way would you go?

My money is on the Traynor but I want to see if you all theink the same as well

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Traynor all the way. The 3-Pro has some major headroom issues, and the 200 sounds better to my ears anyway.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Any other input on the Ampeg side of this? Am I missing something about this amp that would make it worth the money they are asking?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The preamp in the 3-Pro is decent, but it doesn't have much power at all. If you really like the 3-Pro sound, its better to go with the 6-Pro; same preamp with a much better power amp.

5. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I don't know much about the Traynor but the 3-PRO lacks power. The tone isn't bad on the SVT-3PRO but you'll be craving extra headroom. I don't own that head anymore for exactly that reason.

6. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I play an SVT-3 Pro through two Eden 4x10's in a punk band and it's plenty loud enough to keep up with an insane drummer and a cranked Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and it's only up a little less then half-way. I used to play through one Eden cab and it was still pretty loud, just had to turn it up a little more.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    For most... the 3Pro isnt enough. The Traynor will probably cost you less than the used 3Pro, and will give you more headroom easily. I'd aim for the tubes.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree on the SVT3PRo headroom issues! They sound great, but just don't seem like 425 watts into 4 ohms.

9. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Ive tryed both amps, and Id say the traynor would beat it.

It seems to deal with its power alot better then the svt.

The traynor is a little brighter naturally which was the only thing i didnt like but it is easily dialed out.

The svt didnt have the same quality of sound, dont know about the 6 though.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Traynor all the way. The SVT3Pro is just a practice amp in comparison.

11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    own the traynor myself. love the tone, lots of tube drive.
    I really can't think of many people around here i know that have used the 3pro and not switched to something bigger. (4pro or 5pro, svt cl)
    I really need to try out a 6pro, I'm very curious about those.

The big plus I find with the traynor is you can switch ohm rating for different cabs between 4 and 8. Its nice to have some flexibility and still have the same power output.

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

If you use the EQ / Boost the SVT III Pro is plenty loud. Unless you do some tube swaps, (12AT7 in the V1 position instead of the 12AX7 if memory serves me corectly) the Traynor will break up sooner, and while it may give you almost the same volume as the Ampeg, it won't be as clean.

Keep in mind that the difference between 200 watts and 450 watts is only 3-4 db, not very much.

There are a quite few threads about the Ampeg and the YBA200 on the forums and you'll find a lot of tips on settings etc.

You will find fans of both of these amps. Either one would make a good choice.

13. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    I was just watching the 2003 Warped Tour DVD and noticed the bassists from Mest, Slick Shoes, Mad Caddies, Avenged Sevenfold, and Face to Face were all using SVT-3 Pro's.

14. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Damn, now I'm going to have to go back out and buy another one... :rollno:

Maybe I should say...

Good for them!

I don't know how to respond to this :scowl:

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    And they all have 40K watt PAs backing them up, not to mention that they most likely did not record with the 3s...

16. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    Just trying to point out that they are more than a "practice amp".

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I did do a search on the STV3-Pro and I really didn't find too many favorable reviews so I decided to make a thread just in case someone had missed those threads and had experience with the SVT, I read all the YBA200 threads so I know they are well liked, just checking to make sure I didn't miss something witht e SVT3

18. I have owned a pro 3 with a 4x10+115 and/or a HLF 4x10, and I must say I did not like this set-up at all. No head-room, no flexibilty. I have only tried a 200 in the store and it was much better (however I ended up with the Yorkville xs800+808)

So in closing...Ampeg Pro 3 might be popular, but that doesn't make it good. I would definately give Traynor a shot. All tube (for the 200), great warranty, quality product, without the quality price.