1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVT3-PRO & V-4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaxRebus, Sep 1, 2004.

1. MaxRebus

MaxRebus

Sep 1, 2004
    Rome - Italy
    Dear guys, I'm a happy owner of an Ampeg SVT3-Pro ..... now I'm looking for an all tube head and I was thinking an V-4BH would be a good choice in terms of sound ..... and price !!!
    My question: 100watts tube would be enough loud as the SVT3 ?
    I generally use for small shows one cab (15e or 210he depending on the material) and for bigger shows both cabs, so I'm stuck with 8 or 4 Ohm loads.
    Any help ?

Thanks
    :confused:

2. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm in a similar place. I also own a SVT3Pro and am looking to move to tubes. I have a B-15R which is 100 watts. It is a great amp, okay for small gigs, but no good for larger venues unless you mike it. Therefore, I don't thinks you would be happy with the 100 watt V-4BH. I'm heading towards a 300 watter but I'm not sure which one yet. I'm still researching.

3. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    What if you are pushing more air (bigger or 2 cabs though)?

Lync

4. well by using both cabs it would be enough if u don´t mind a little dirt.
    i use mine with a 412 and get complaints about being too loud.

5. I tried the V-4 recently, and found it a bit under powered.

6. aren´t all ampegs? ;)

7. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I had an Ampeg V4-BH. It was loud enough for a jam, but at the level you needed it, it was quite muddy. Now, it had a lot of balls when it came to the low end, but the high even was just colored to a point where it pissed me off. There is not enough headroom. As well, for some reason, it was always not as loud with two cabs as it was with a single 1x15. A 4x10 on top of that 1x15 made it not as loud and kind of worse sounding. That head is variable in my opinion. It was nice when played low, but I sold it to get an Eden WT-800 and D410XLT cab and I have NEVER been happier. Seriously.

8. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    If you want a good tube amp, make sure it is in the 300 watt range. You'll always and i mean ALWAYS want more power as soon as it starts to distort at audible levels in a jam or show situation. Oh did I ever have a bad time with that V4BH at the one show I played with it....