Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaxRebus, Sep 1, 2004.

1. MaxRebus

Sep 1, 2004
    Rome - Italy
    Dear guys, I'm a happy owner of an Ampeg SVT3-Pro ..... now I'm looking for an all tube head and I was thinking an V-4BH would be a good choice in terms of sound ..... and price !!!
    My question: 100watts tube would be enough loud as the SVT3 ?
    I generally use for small shows one cab (15e or 210he depending on the material) and for bigger shows both cabs, so I'm stuck with 8 or 4 Ohm loads.
    Any help ?

2. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm in a similar place. I also own a SVT3Pro and am looking to move to tubes. I have a B-15R which is 100 watts. It is a great amp, okay for small gigs, but no good for larger venues unless you mike it. Therefore, I don't thinks you would be happy with the 100 watt V-4BH. I'm heading towards a 300 watter but I'm not sure which one yet. I'm still researching.
  3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    What if you are pushing more air (bigger or 2 cabs though)?

4. well by using both cabs it would be enough if u don´t mind a little dirt.
    i use mine with a 412 and get complaints about being too loud.
  5. I tried the V-4 recently, and found it a bit under powered.
  6. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I had an Ampeg V4-BH. It was loud enough for a jam, but at the level you needed it, it was quite muddy. Now, it had a lot of balls when it came to the low end, but the high even was just colored to a point where it pissed me off. There is not enough headroom. As well, for some reason, it was always not as loud with two cabs as it was with a single 1x15. A 4x10 on top of that 1x15 made it not as loud and kind of worse sounding. That head is variable in my opinion. It was nice when played low, but I sold it to get an Eden WT-800 and D410XLT cab and I have NEVER been happier. Seriously.
  7. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    If you want a good tube amp, make sure it is in the 300 watt range. You'll always and i mean ALWAYS want more power as soon as it starts to distort at audible levels in a jam or show situation. Oh did I ever have a bad time with that V4BH at the one show I played with it....